VMware Cloud Community
netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware vSphere Lifecycle Manager error when updating host, where is the logs location?

Hey,
Rocking a few ESXi's(Dell R640) on 7.0.3U3 and wanted to update to the latest 7.0.3U3k update for Win server 2022.
I see the update under the predefined baseline of critical update but when I try to remediate the host with the update i'm getting the following error after being stuck for a few minutes.

VMware vSphere Lifecycle Manager had an unknown error. Check the events and log files for details.

Where can I get the errors/logs regarding this task? Tried to stage the update beforehand but with no success, pre-check remediation is OK.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

How did you create a baseline? Which file did you use for that? 

0 Kudos
netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey
Both baselines I tried were working before, but also both are predefined like shown in the picture.
baseline.png

0 Kudos
pmcgrail-vk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,  were you able to resolve this issue?  I have a similar issue going on.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SurgITGuy
Contributor
Contributor

I've run into this issue as well. What's even more odd is that we are not using Lifecycle Manager. And I don't know where the logs are that it's referring to. Interested to hear if anyone ever found a solution for this.

0 Kudos
djacobson52
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found a resolution to this?  I am getting the same error, but just for the non-critical host patches baseline.  I'm also at ESXi 7.0.3.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
crmercado
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

Please, can you share the content of the following log.

/var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/vum-server/vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log

You were able to verify if the steps indicated in this Kb solve your problem.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76259

0 Kudos
SRX
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same problem on the same day as you. I opened a VMware support request and it has to do with a bad patches from VMware. You need to ssh to the host to remove these patches and modify the non-secure baseline on Lifecycle Manager.

0 Kudos