VMware Edu & Cert Community
dickieblack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clarification request - physical RDM and vMotion - in case of exam question

Hi,

I'm getting close to taking my VCP 410 exam. There are a couple of things bugging me about the documents versus real life experience.  If I get a question in this area, I'd like to know which way to go!

The books I'm using for studying, plus the official training material state that you cannot vMotion a guest with a physical mode RDM, yet a VMware KB 1005241 says the opposite, and I have a production VM with several physical RDMs (for SAN snapshotting)  which happily vMotions around my ESXi 4.1 cluster when DRS requires it.

What is going on?

Richard

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware that there was a restriction for vMotion with RDMs in any 4.x version. Anyway, I'd suggest you read a couple of jonhall's posts. He's a Technical Certification Developer at VMware and posted a couple of helpful facts about the certification like Re: Will VCP400 exam include 4.1 items?.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd recommend you go with the info in the KB article. Make sure you differentiate between "vMotion" (migrating the VM workload) and "Storage vMotion" (migrating the virtual disks/descriptor files) though.

Can you provide a reference for the book you mentioned (title, page)?

André

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... also make sure you take a look at the official documentation about e.g. Storage vMotion Requirements and Limitations

André

0 Kudos
dickieblack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The books I'm using are Scott Lowe's Mastering VMware vSphere 4 (chap 10, p438) and Sybex's VPC 4 Study guide. This latter one was definitely produced before ESX 4.1 was released, so I guess the change could have been made between 4.0 and 4.1?

Richard

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Regarding Scott Lowe's book make sure you check out

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470481382,miniSiteCd-SYBEX,descCd-ERRATA.html

(and delete this line) Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
dickieblack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you André, that link to the errata in Scott's book backs up the KB and my own experience.

For my own personal satisfaction, do you know of this was a change from 4.0 to 4.1?

Richard

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware that there was a restriction for vMotion with RDMs in any 4.x version. Anyway, I'd suggest you read a couple of jonhall's posts. He's a Technical Certification Developer at VMware and posted a couple of helpful facts about the certification like Re: Will VCP400 exam include 4.1 items?.

André

0 Kudos