VMware Edu & Cert Community
dee912
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCA6 NV Prep

Hi,

I am new to VMware and am preparing to take the Network Virtualization - VCA track.

From the old blueprint for VCA-NV (which should probably still be valid for VCA6-NV), 2 training courses are listed :

Network Virtualization Fundamentals [V2014] Classroom Live Online                                    <<< Still available online

Enroll VMware NSX Technical Overview with Labs Self-Paced with Labs View Schedule     <<< Can't seem to find this

[1] Is there an equivalent course available for "VMware NSX Technical Overview with Labs Self-Paced" ?

[2] Would taking the "Network Virtualization Fundamentals" be sufficient for the VCA6-NV exam ?

[3] Could not find this, but any recommended books/study guides on VMware press that can be used for preparing for VCA6-NV and above ?

Thank you !

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Forget VCA-NV and focus on the VCA6-NV resources and exam: VCA6-NV Certification

Review the exam topics, and take the Fundamentals training.

If you want some hands-on, have a look here: VMware NSX Hands-on Labs | United States

That should be sufficient preparation for the exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Forget VCA-NV and focus on the VCA6-NV resources and exam: VCA6-NV Certification

Review the exam topics, and take the Fundamentals training.

If you want some hands-on, have a look here: VMware NSX Hands-on Labs | United States

That should be sufficient preparation for the exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
dee912
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nice, thank you !

0 Kudos
Martian_333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there

How much prep have people done for this that have passed? does it require significant study or can I leave that to the next step up in the track?

Currently I am studying for my CCNP which takes priority but if I could take 3 hours out to watch the free VMware course and the HOL would that suffice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The exams for the various VCA certifications are closely connected to the Fundamentals training, so your training plus HOL plan should work. But, the VCA certifications don't mean much to employers - if that's why you were considering a VMware certification.

Are you already a "current" CCNA? If so, you could push yourself to the VCP6-NV without having to attend a class on NSX - yes you'll need to do a lot more work but the rewards will be greater as it's VCP (and above) that the job market looks for. More here: VCP6-NV Certification

Martian_333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scott

Thanks for the reply, essentially I am looking to pickup:

VCA6-NV (now - as I thought I might have a chance to do it reasonably quickly and its a nice addition)

VCA6-DCV (after the CCNP Switch Exam which is booked for next month, same reason as above)

VCP6-NV (after the CCNP R&S exams)

VCP6-DCV (after the CCNA Datacenter exam which comes after the VCP6-NV)

I've got a lot of work to do.....

All of this is self funded to secure / open my horizons (architect roles / full stack engineer etc).

Yep got my CCNA already so was going to use that for the VCP6-NV which is a massive plus for me as the VMware training is not cheap.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds like a decent plan, the VCAs won't "count" for much but are a starting point if it will take you a while to get to the VCPs.

Martian_333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Scott, any rough ideas on how long to spend studying for the VCA-NV? can you take the 3 hour free course, complete the HOL then go straight in?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I've not taken it myself, but you shouldn't need to do much beyond the training as it's written to coincide with the exam objectives.

Martian_333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great thanks Scott I will give it a go!

0 Kudos
dee912
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cleared the exam with about 7-10 days of prep. I had no prior experience with NSX so studying from the ground-up was helpful. This certification give you some direction and structure in preparing for more advanced exams. I am hoping this will help with my VCP prep.

Below are the resources I used:

[1] VMware Network Virtualization Fundamentals eLearning Course

[2] NSX HOL

[3] NSX Network Virtualization Design Guide

[4] NSX Documentation Center

[5] NSX Packet Walk [Deep Dive Blogs from routetocloud]

[6] Blogs from Scott Lowe and Brad Hedlund

Good luck !

0 Kudos
meemsuad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello!

Congrats you passed your exam.

Please guide me the mentioned resources are free available or paid?

Please share the links of your mentioned resources.

Regards,

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

All 6 resources look like they're free from their description, and Google is your friend Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
SalahICT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello friends,

I'm a Cisco CCNA R&S certified, i'm new in VMware domain and i wanna to be certified, is the VCA-NV certification necessary for me to pass the VCP-NV certification exam ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

‌You don't have to become a VCA first, that's never a requirement for a VCP certification.

In fact, as you are a CCNA, you don't even have to take training - you get an exemption.

Path 2 on this page is for you: VCP6-NV Certification

0 Kudos
SalahICT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response,

Is the VMware training necessary to understand  vSphere 6 Foundations and VCP6-NV exams topics?

and if i can prepare exams with self-study,Is there any study materials to prepare the VCP6-NV exam ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you expand Path 2 on the page I linked to, you can find separate pages about each exam with objectives, and recommended preparation resources.

Only you can decide what level and type of training you need to help you understand what the exams will test you on.

You would certainly need some hands-on experience with vSphere and NSX, and plenty of knowledge too.

0 Kudos