VMware Cloud Community
Ard_Righ
Contributor
Contributor

Dual NICS in ESX 3.5 host, on different IP ranges?

Hello,

I am wanting to know how it would be possible to configure an ESX host to run seperate NICs on seperate IP ranges. I have had a look through the UI, and I can add the two NICs to the vswf0 that is currently running, but I cannot see any way to change the IP range that vnic1 is set to use?

The first IP range is a 'production' network, and the second IP range is to be used for the backup server, which needs to be visible to the ESX host but off the 'production' network.

If there is a document that relates to this, a link would be helpful Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

A Serrvice Console port (vswif) can only have a single IP address - you would need to add a second Service Console port and then you would be able to assign a different IP address to that vswif - that is how you could do it but there might be an issue with your network configuration - say one of the physical NICs is on the 10.1.x.x network and the second physical NIC is on the 10.2.x.x network you can set the two service console ports on the seperate networks - however if a problem does occur with one of the physical NICs say the 10.1.x.x network and the connection is broken you will lose connectivity ott hat port -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

You dont see that option because thats not how you do it Smiley Happy You put vmnic 1 on the proper port from a networking perspective, and then give your VMs the right IP for that port.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_3_server_config.pdf

See chapters 2 &3.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
Ard_Righ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, things make more sense once you know the proper way to do it. I now have the VMs running with 2 NICs, one for each network, so they can see production, but can also see the backup server Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ard_Righ
Contributor
Contributor

Create a second Virtual Switch/Service Console, apply the correct network range, then add a 2nd NIC to each VM required to be on the new network range.

0 Kudos