VMware Cloud Community
Ralf-B
Contributor
Contributor

VM Network speed very slow

Hi All,

following situation.

On a citrix Metaframe Server we have got an Application. The Users are starting this application with a config File from a network share (Home directory of the user).

- When i start the application with the config File which is placed an a share on a VM (VI3.02) than this application needs 60 Secongs to start (the config File 1-2 KB)

We placed the config on different VMs, same Problem.

- When i start this one with config file is placed on a physikal server (connected on the same switch) than the application need only 5-6 seconds.

When i copy files from this client to the VM or physikal server the speed ok on both server.

How can i troubleshoot this Problem. maybe some can help me

Thanks alot for any tip&trick

Ralf

0 Kudos
8 Replies
djciaro
Expert
Expert

Do you have the VMware tools installed on the VM and up-to-date?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
Ralf-B
Contributor
Contributor

sorry i forgotten this

yes vmware tools are installed and up to date.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

I have a couple of questions to understand your environment.

1. Are you publishing your application with a batch file

2. Where is the Home Directory share in relation to the VMware /Citrix Servers. Is it on the same LAN or across WAN.

You can publish applications to run from UNC share, however, if you a problem with that share or the coummunication between it is no different physical or virtual.

Mike

0 Kudos
Ralf-B
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

1. not a batch job, the application will be started with

c:\folder1\ application.exe h:\application\application.cfg (shortcut on Users Desktop)

application.exe is on Citrix Server and h: a network drive on a VM

2. the home Directory on the same lan and on the same switch

Thanks and have a nice day

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

This does not appear to be a virtualization problem but rather a design problem. You are trying to run a shortcut from the users desktop which would not be recommended by Citrix in the physical or virutal world. What would be more acceptable would be to run from network share or from user Home Directory on network share. For example:

"c:\program files\microsoft office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE"
Server\share/%username%\your access database.mdb

or

\\Server\share\application folder\application.exe

Desktop shortcuts have a way of becoming corrupted and deleted.

Mike

0 Kudos
Ralf-B
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mike,

first thank you for this information. But i think this isnt the issue, because, when i change the drive mapping from from the vm to a physikal Server on the same subnetz and on the same switch, the applications starts within 4-5 secons.

The only difference if

first test (to slow) h is mapped to
server1-VM\username

secons test (fast) h is mapped to
physikalserver\username

So we have not other problems on the VM- this is file server and the file transfer is ok.

Thansk again

Ralf

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

If both your VM and physical server map to the same share and you are having this kind of problem, I would check the networking on your VM and make sure you have updated VMware Tools. Sounds like networking or name resolution problem. Are they using the same DNS servers?

0 Kudos
Ralf-B
Contributor
Contributor

yes,

same, Actice Directory, same DNS, name resolution ist ok (i know about this issue, it doesnt matter which Problem, check first DNS Smiley Happy )

its really suspect

Vmware Tools, up2date

0 Kudos