VMware Cloud Community
virtuon
Contributor
Contributor

need help SCSI Disk not recongnizing

Hi All ,

I am very new to vmware technology , I have installed latest build of esx server 3.5 suceessfully on SATA drive , now when i tried to create vm machine it show "Create Data store not persistant storage available " so i have formateed one 1 scsi disk created ext parttion using Gpart and added it on esx server. In BIOS i can see the 2 disk 1 SATA and other SCSI disk

But through VI it does not recongizes SCSI disk so i am unable to create datastore eventually virual machine on it

Please guide me how to add new SCSI disk to existing storage.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander

The VMs will reside on a VMFS partition. In the VIclient go to the configuration tab >> Storage-> click Add storage---> select Disk/LUN and see if the storage appears there. This can also be done from the Service console with fdisk.

Is all of your hardware on the HAL

0 Kudos
virtuon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have tried that but my storage disk does not apper under configuration tab , it shows only message that VMWare dont have persistant storage now i have added i SATA drive with fdisk i can see it listed but not able to view it in vi-client as addional disk .

Hope this help

Thx

0 Kudos
virtuon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

Now i have added locally one new SATA drive so ESX server conf is like 2 SATA AND 1 SCSI , when if i will go to ESX server console and run fdisk command then it shows me all the three disk , but when in VI i login and check storage by rescaning i it does not refelect there .

In fact when i am trying to create VM , it shows error message "No persitant storage is avilable" .

Please help me and tell me how can i solve this problem

thx

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Have you formatted either of the new disks with a VMFS datastore?

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
virtuon
Contributor
Contributor

Nope both of my disk are having ext3 partition , can please tell me , step by step how to do it.

Thanks

0 Kudos