VMware Cloud Community
PBerard
Contributor
Contributor

64 bits Windows 2008 machines won't start

Hello,

We've got a major problem since our last ESX update on an ESX Proliant DL 585 G1 pool : Windows 2008 64 bits enterprise VMs won't run. Without any modification, we're asked to modify the edx part of the level 80000001 with "--1- -

-

-

-

-

-

-

". When done, if we try to run the machine, we have a msg.monitorInit.vmm64.initfailure : This AMD CPU is not a Revision D or later processor.

What's strange is that everything was running fine before. Any clue ? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zanmk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

Proliant G1 sounds like an old CPU. Generally to run 64bit machines you need i-VT or AMD-V enabled CPUs.

I can confirm that to a specific ESX release I could run 64bit VMs on older CPUs but with one of updates this possibility disappeared.

In my environemnt we use "old" IBM x460.

regards

Martin

AWo
Immortal
Immortal

As this seems to be caused by an update the BIOS setting must have been enabled before.

I had that once and I just restored the standard settings in the advanced options of the CPU mask part of the guest options menu. ESX 4 seems to takl care about things which it doesn't look at in 3.5. There's KB article describing this. I'll try to find it....

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =