VMware Cloud Community
Jamin
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Connect with VI client directly - but Web and Virtual Center access work

Had a problem with an ESX machine today - and then things got worse.

I tried to delete from disk an old unused guest from an ESX 3.5 box, while connected in via the Virtual Center (which runs as a VM on that same host). That operation never completed, and it eventually timed out. Then, we disabled a physical Ethernet switch port and then re-enabled it. That's when things get strange.

Within Virtual Center, that host was no longer accessible, and I found that I could not use the client to directly connect to the host either. I tried restarting vmware management agents and that failed after the restarting just the first one. Tried a few mor things, got the management agents running (kill -HUP <pid>) but could no longer access the ESX host from VI client or VC. So, from the guests, shutdown each of the VM's rebooted the host, and now, as the title says, I can connect via VC and Web, but not directly to the host.

I can directly connect to other ESX hosts from that same client.

The error message on the client is:

" VMware Infrastructure Client could not establish connection with server 123.123.123.123". Details: The server could not interpret the communication from the client.

Looking for the root cause. I've reviewed the securtiy configuration on the host, and nothing appears to be wrong there.

Thoughs?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Jamin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for looking at this. Unfortunately, DNS is not an issue. Both forward and reverse lookups are working, and none of the errors in the KB appear in the logs.

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Try if this post works, sounds you have the same issue.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/113515

Award Points if helpful!!

0 Kudos