VMware Cloud Community
phillycsu
Contributor
Contributor

Causes of Web UI responding extremely slow?

3 servers (A,B,C) all running ESX 3.5 U4

Server A is older hardware but B and C are identical servers except for the disks.

For some reason Server B Web UI takes ~15s-1min to respond in the Web UI, sometimes timing out. Other servers response times are immediate. Network traffic is low, tried restarting webAccess service. In researching I can't seem to find much about the Web UI itself other than where it is, the corresponding service, and configuration from within the UI.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Virtugirl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Philly,

I would administer your esx hosts using the VI client as opposed to the WEB UI. You can download the client from your ESX server by using http://youresxservername (or IP Address) and then click the download VI client. This should give you an exe file to install the client from.

0 Kudos
phillycsu
Contributor
Contributor

Virtugirl,

Thanks for the response. The hosts are managed with vSphere. The intended purpose of the WebUI in my instance is to provide a simple front end for VM owners to have limited administrative access. (Power On/Off, Restart)

0 Kudos
Virtugirl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Philly,

If you want to give users limited access, it may be better to do this using permissions in the VI Client. You can be very specific on what you want to allow a user to do and not to do.

Here is a document on what the roles and permissions give you and how to set them - Page 214 onwards :

jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Philly,

Have you checked the CPU utilization and network performance of your host?

Also check for the unwanted process which are running in the servvice console.

you can check the below Vmware KB article for your reference.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100788...

Jay

VCP 310,VCP 410,MCSE

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
phillycsu
Contributor
Contributor

Virtugirl,

Permissions are managed through VI Client for each server with a global user that has limited permissions. The purpose of using the WebUI is so that they do not need to download and install the VI Client. It is used sparingly for conditions like a locked up VM when someone is working late and I am out of the office.

Jay,

CPU and Network performance are acceptable, memory usage is on the higher end but not affecting performance. There are no defunct processes as listed in the KB. Although I did notice the log flooded with messages:

May 16 05:31:51 'server' xinetd: libwrap refused connection to vmware-authd (libwrap=vmware-authd) from 127.0.0.1

Added 127.0.0.1 to hosts.allow file and performance seems to be back to normal. A little odd that none of the other servers had this problem as they were lacking the hosts.allow entry as well.

Thanks for the responses Smiley Happy

0 Kudos