VMware Cloud Community
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

Compaq Smart Array (cpqarray) ESX 3.0 vmkernel driver available

As many of you have discovered, the older Compaq Smart Array controllers are not supported under ESX 3.0. These include any RAID controllers that use the cpqarray device driver (ie. Smart2, 2P, 221, 3200, etc.)

I have ported the cpqarray driver to ESX 3.0 and would like someone to test it for me.

The cpqarray vmkernel driver can be found here:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~plalonde2/cpqarray.o

This vmkernel module needs to be placed in the /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod directory and permissions set using: chmod 444 cpqarray.o

To load (and test) the driver, please use: vmkload_mod cpqarray.o

If successful, you should see the Smart Array controller register itself with the vmkernel and with the service console.

Please let me know how it works. I won't have a system with a Smart Array to test for a couple of days.

Regards,

Paul[b][/b]

Message was edited by:

kix1979 Removed bold heading

0 Kudos
78 Replies
josdenos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Did you get it working, if so can you post the driver + install instuctions, please?

Thanks,

J/

0 Kudos
josdenos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Any news on this, or have you stopped this great effort entirely?

Thanks,

Jos.

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the wakeup pings, guys, I had almost forgot about this thread.

Actually, I think half my battle is the Smart Array 221 I am using doesn't seem to be working reliably. I'm going to see if I can find a 3200 or similar controller to test the driver with.

This weekend, I'll post the driver I've got so far and you guys can see if it works any better with your controllers.

Now, off to find another cpqarray...

Paul

0 Kudos
asg2ki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Paul,

Any news on this ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
asg2ki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention that I have few 3100, 3200 and 4400 Smart Array controllers which may come very handy for the testing procedures. I can't pass the hw to you but I can surely help you with the tests.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the reminder, I'll try and post the driver today.

Paul

0 Kudos
asg2ki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Paul,

Any updates ? Were you able to upload the new driver ?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

I compiled the most recent driver this morning (over coffee, no less Smiley Happy ) and will post it tonight. No guarantees, though, as it didn't seem to work very well with my 221.

Paul

0 Kudos
asg2ki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nice Smiley Happy

Post the link once you are ready so we can download the new driver and respectively do some tests.

Oh and by the way thanks a lot for all your efforts and time on doing this job. We all really appreciate it very much Smiley Happy

Cheers

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

I gave up on the SMART Array 32xx controllers that worked great with ESX 2.x and upgraded to SMART Array 53xx controllers which work with ESX 3.x. They are fairly inexpensive on Ebay. I couldn't wait any longer for this driver but I do appreciate your efforts as I'm sure others do as well!

Jas

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
josdenos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Did you post the driver + install steps somewhere already?

Tnx,

J/

0 Kudos
josdenos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Did you get a chance to post the driver+install steps anywhere?

Thanks,

J/

0 Kudos
josdenos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Any news?

Tnx,

J/

0 Kudos
zefrench
Contributor
Contributor

Any news on this ?

0 Kudos
josdenos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Did you ever get the time to finnish the driver?

Tnx,

J.

0 Kudos
ExCon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any news on this? I'd love to be able to play with VI3 in a home lab on a few DL360 (G1) machines, with the integrated controllers.

BTW, if it's true that beta versions of 3.0 allowed you to load on these G1 machines, is there any way to get a hold of the beta code?

0 Kudos
sam_on_cqparray
Contributor
Contributor

Hi paul,

Any news about this project?

we still believe in you!

thanks.

0 Kudos
Lousek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all.

Are there any news about the cpqarray-driver?

I'm very interested in this thread, I know, the last post was a long time ago ...

Edit: I hope, the driver works for ESX 3.5 / ESX 3i too Smiley Wink

Greetz, Lousek

0 Kudos
borei
Contributor
Contributor

where can i download it now?

0 Kudos