VMware Cloud Community
softnum
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 and HP MSA 1510i

I noticed while doing another installation that the MSA 1510i showed up on the HCL for ESX 3.5. I have ESX 3.0.2 and 1510i Firmware 1.30.100. I'm having some lingering problems with the MSA / ESX combo. Of course, there's some notes attached. I get note 1 & 3. Need Update 1, and SIngle Controller only (Which is fine.) But I don't understand the 'Windows Guests Only' note. I can't really fathom why it matters. I have a couple of Linux guests running. These are trivially converted to Windows Guests, I just wonder if anyone know why this note exists? I note that 3.0.2 is back on the HCL for the MSA. And the windows Guest note is there too. And they've removed the firmware requirement. Does that mean I can move back to 1.32? Can anyone shed some light into these mysteries?

Thanks!

Brendan Speer

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

The stability issue appear when you have I/O intensive application on the guest. The way as linux system used the disk are different than Windows so this may have an impact on the storage. I don't know if is for this reason why the linux guest are not supported...

A new version of the firmware is available to solve the stability issue

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

It may be an RDM issue, and not the guest directly. Can't say for sure either. If you want to have a definitive answer, you should open an SR with vmware.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos