VMware Cloud Community
mmcginley
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5 - install VM problem

I have set up a esx 3.5 server with internal sata disks. I installed the esx server software using the built in dvd/cd of the (dell) box, it has an Intel NIC and all seems good, I can access the server with the VI Client and from that stand point all looks good. The ESX server sees the LUN when I set up a new VM and all appears good. When I did the course a few weeks back we used a preconfigured LUN with ISO's on it, I dont have that now, I am trying to set up new VMs from the built in cd of the server and or the local host using the VI client.

When trying to install my first VM (win2003 std) using the server's cd I get on the vm console, first thing it does is a pxe boot which fails with a no "OS found", if i disable the NIC and put in a bootable cd on the esx server the VM still displays "no OS found'. I changed settings but I cannot get the vm to find the installation CD/DVD. When I did this on a MS Virtula Server product, it recognizes the server's dvd/cd and booted the vm from it. The esx server does not see the the dvd/cd and wont boot the OS boot loader so I can start the VM install.

Can someone help me figure out how to install a new VM OS (win2003) from the server's built in cd.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
O_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you check if the CD-rom is connected, or is enabled to be connected at startup (VM -> Edit Settings -> CD-Rom -> First 2 options) ?

Check this first ... Chances are this is the problem ... Come back if you're still stuck .

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

Most of us use the VC client CD or ISO's

I have seen more issues when trying to use the servers CD.

On the VM settings set the CD as Client Device and then you will have the option to connect to it just as the VM power up.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
mmcginley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I got it now.

0 Kudos