VMware Cloud Community
Vmware_Moron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I assign guest machines to a specific physical nic?

Hello,

Pardon my ignorance. I like to improve perfomance by assigning specific physical NIC to my guest machines. How do I do this from Virtual Center?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

pNICS are assigned to vSwitches, so if you have extra pNICS, you could create a new vSwitch and add the pNIC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

pNICS are assigned to vSwitches, so if you have extra pNICS, you could create a new vSwitch and add the pNIC

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Virtual Machines connect to virtual networks named "virtual machine port groups".

You can have several port groups on a virtual switch.

Each virtual switch has 0 or more physical network cards.

What you could do is create a virtual switch with 1 physical nic or more and then create a new virtual machine port group.

Then assign only the virtual machines you want to use that physical nic to that port group.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
Vmware_Moron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.

I've assigned one additional physical NIC to my "VM Network" port group and both physical NIC says "Negotiate" under "Network Adapters".

I assume this means the network traffic from my guest machines are being split/carried into my two physical NIC - yes?

Also, do I need to specify additional virtual NIC when I create my virtual guest in order to take advantage of physical NIC?

0 Kudos