VMware Cloud Community
saravanaSR
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ESX 3.5 on vmware workstation 6.5

Hi All,

I am trying to install ESX on VMware workstation 6.5. I am following the same procedure as specified in the VMware document. When I power on the server with CD (iso image file 3.5 with update 4) as the primary boot, not getting the GUI window.

It is just showing only one option as Thin ESX Installer.. and it is moving forward to loading the ESX installer image automatically.

Note: my physical machine is x86 processor.

Can someone help me to install the ESX...

Thanks, Sarav

0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Are you sure you downloaded ESX and not ESXi?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide: Shortcuts down the path of Virtualization

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, ESX is not a freeware........ Are you using ESXi? ESXi is a freeware..........

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
saravanaSR
Contributor
Contributor

Have downloaded ESX 3.5 with update 2 and update 4.

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So are you trying to deploy this ESX 3.5 as a VM on your workstation?

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
saravanaSR
Contributor
Contributor

Yes! you are right. Here am not getting Installation method options... its just automatically booting....

Its possible to install ESX 3.5 in x86 processor?

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I dont think so or rather I do not know.

But it is my best guess that ESXi can be installed on a guest OS........ What do you say guru's?

While installingf an OS on a workstation there is an option to select the kind of OS. I hope you might have seletced the drop down option "other". Why don't you try Linux?

0 Kudos
TxTechLaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With procs one never knows, but I did it on my 64bit Dell, these should help:

Start with this from Xtravirt

Free 'SAN'

VM Tips

More VM tips

0 Kudos