VMware Cloud Community
branfarm1
Contributor
Contributor

LUN problems after Fiber zoning changes -- Urgent help needed!!

Hi there,

I'm in urgent need of some assistance here and hoping someone can help me. We made some changes to the zoning config on our Fiber-switch and now my 3 ESX hosts are having problems accessing the LUN's where the VM's are stored. They can actually still see the LUNS, and I can browse them using the datastore browser, but none of the VM's will run and I can't reboot/shutdown/restart any of the VM's. I tried rebooting one of the ESX hosts and when it came back up it no longer had the LUN's added.

I tried doing a rescan of the HBA and it found the old LUNs, but when I go to add it back it says that it will destory all data. Can anyone tell me if it will really reformat the LUN?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

If the LUNs are zone correctly and previously has data and guests on it, you just need to do rescan on all HBAs and do not use the add storage wizard it will reformat your LUN and you're screw. If you can browse through the datastore, can you try right click on .vmx file and "add to inventory" and give it a dummy name to see if it actualy registering and power on correctly? Can you also try to create a new dummy VM and point to existing vmdk files to to see if your LUN is fine?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
branfarm1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I tried doing a rescan on the one host that I rebooted but it doesn't automatically detect the existing VMFS volumes. I verified that the LUN's appear the same (same number, same ID), but they still are not mapped properly. I've only rebooted one of my ESX hosts though. I have 3 hosts in a cluster. The 2 that I haven't rebooted can still "see" the LUNs and the files, but I don't think there's any actual communication occuring -- when try and create a file from the command line, on either one of the LUNs, it just says "touch: creating `test.txt': Resource temporarily unavailable"

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

you should check the vmkernel log on the ESX host you rebooted and I would bet you'll find entries regarding snapshots.

If so, change the value of LVM.DisallowSnapshotLUN[/b] to allow the ESX host to mount a snapshoted LUN.

For more details, check the following link.

VMware VMFS Volume Management

Hope this helps a bit.

Greetings from Germany. (CET)

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos