VMware Cloud Community
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Monitoring Vm and VI Infrstructure ?

Hi,

I was wondering how are people monitoring their Virtual Infrastructre?

Can you please tell me what are the tools you are using for both ESx monitoring and VM monitoring?

I am looking at both Free/Paid tools.

Also, is there a tool available which can mail/alert me that a particular VM is using processor at 90% for 5 mins or so. That, way I can take some actions on that VM.

I am facing this problem with my blackberry server.

thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Being in an HP shop, I have had good luck with HP SIM. I've heard good things about Nagios as well, but never had time to investigate on my own - There is an appliance available for download. I also recently read that Solarwinds has released a free monitor and made some updates to Orion as well. Need to see exactly what is new in Orion, but in the end it may be a combination of HP SIM and Orion for me.

If you are using Windows as the OS for the Blackberry server, then use the built-in Performance Alerts functionality of Windows to alert you about the processor usage. Monitor the %Processor Time counter from the Processor object. Here is a link to how its done in XP.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
ronald_higgins
Contributor
Contributor

On the Dell side of things there is I.T Assistant, which i belive uses SNMP monitoring and even has plugins for VC to VMotion VM's if it detects problems.

I'm still looking into deploying it ... so much too do Smiley Wink

rH

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi, I've heard good things about VKernel's offerings: Believe there is a demo appliance you can download and have a play with. As for the alarms, you could create a new alarm for the datacenter by right clicking the datacenter icon and choosing new alarm. Then set your trigger and on the actions tab you can define if you want it to start a script, send an SNMP trap or send an e-mail. Ta Da!! Smiley Happy

- Kinda got ahead of myself there, setting an alarm on the datacenter will only monitor the datacenter health... Do a right click on a VM to create an alarm specific to VM's and the actions options are different, but e-mail is still there...

Cheers!

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

VM monitoring, I think you can't do better than vmsight, looks very good. I imagine it can probably monitor the hosts as well.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

NTurnbull was correct with Virtual Center ability to link VM specific alarms to the datacenter, or to whole "Hosts & Clusters" container.

You can use VM CPU Usage and VM Memory usage and specify triggers, Reporting and Actions.

You can configure ALARM settings to send you e-mail, send a trap, run script,

It actually works pretty well.

(Please rate this or other helpful answers)

Alex

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've messed around with Nagios but haven't gotten anywhere near where I need to be on it to actually put it in production. What's nice about Nagios is well 1) its free but 2) it monitors quite a bit, from your hosts, vm's, switches etc... Only thing is it isn't the simplest thing to install or configure, at least for me since I'm not a linux guru.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos