VMware Cloud Community
sdotsen
Contributor
Contributor

NFS mounts on my virtual machines guest OS

I have two VMs on one ESX host.

- VM1 has a 300gb LUN that I attached to as raw disk.

- VM1 offers this 300gb as an NFS mount

- VM2 nfs mounts the above mount point

When copying large files, VM1 sometimes locks up. Running the df commands results in VM2 hanging when it displays the mount points.

Once I reboot VM1, VM2 will continue to display the mount points, I assume it gets hung at the NFS mounts. Tomorrow, I'll have to troubleshoot why

VM1 hangs as it will also affect VM2 due to it mounting the remote nfs mounts.

Any suggestion on how we can share the 300gb mount point between two servers? This mount point IS NOT the datastore. We just want to be able to share

a mount point between these two servers (virtual machines).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I am assuming both VMs are Linux - What type of storage are you using on your ESX Server? Are both VMs connected to the same vSwitch?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sdotsen
Contributor
Contributor

Both VMs are on same vswitch and same datastore. They both run RHEL, and the LUNs are on a SAN connected via fiber cables

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Have you set the NFS export to "async"?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
sdotsen
Contributor
Contributor

yes i have (rw, async, no_squash_root)

0 Kudos