VMware Cloud Community
infinitiguy
Contributor
Contributor

NIS authentication in ESX

I'm reading through the posts in the forums and it seems like everyone is doing AD authentication with ESX.

I want to use NIS authentication with ESX, and turned it on just fine, but when I login using my acct, I get an access is denied(via ssh) I know I can see my account because when I do an id against my UID I get all the correct information. I have allow root access enabled in SSHD because I didn't want to create any local accounts so all I have is root(locally) and NIS.. I then tried to create a local account after enabling NIS but it failed(which I expected) because it sees my NIS account.

I looked through sshd_config, but couldn't see any configuration options to tweak there. I don't know if maybe I should be searching in /etc/pam.d/ but figured I might post to see what any of you out there thought.

Opinions?

Cheers,

-Derek

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bigusdadius
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get this figured out? If so, could you please post the information? Thanks!

0 Kudos
infinitiguy
Contributor
Contributor

I was never able to figure this out. We only have a few administrators so I was just going to use local accounts on the machine. I now am using Virtual Center with AD for mangement now.

0 Kudos
bigusdadius
Contributor
Contributor

I did the same for this customer, but since they are mostly a linux shop I would like to get this working eventually.

Thanks for the reply by the way!

0 Kudos
gastonmartin
Contributor
Contributor

I've done it. I set my ESX host to bind a nis domain, and I can login with any NIS account.

I've post some instructions to make it work in my blog. check the post here:

http://vecinillo.blogspot.com/2007/12/binding-vmware-esx-host-to-nis-domain.html

Best regards,

Gaston

0 Kudos