VMware Cloud Community
Krax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Procedure for change user and password : VirtualCenter and ESX Console

Hi all,

I need to change the user and password for VC and the ESX Console.

- What is the best procedure to change the user and passord for Virtual Center and the ESX Console? (ESX 3.5 update3 and VirtualCenter 2.5 update3)

- Can do it when the Virtual Machines are running?

Tanks a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is the procedure if you do not know the root password - if you do know the root password you can use the command passwd while logged in as root -

David Weinstein VCP, VCI, VTSP

Senior Consultantr | VMware | dweinstein@vmware.com | P: 847 999-8925 | F: 650 739-0499

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can change ESX and VC password while the VMs are running - for VC I would utilize Active Directory as your authentication so you just let teh users control their passwords as they would normally - for ESX really their should be no reason why people are accessing ESX if you are using Virtual Center to manage your ESX Servers -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Krax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

And then...if i need to change the password for the root user, is correct this procedure:

Reboot the ESX host and at the first menu, press 'a'.

Then at the prompt type 'single'

The ESX host will boot to a # prompt.

Type 'passwd' and enter a new password for root.

Type 'reboot'.

Can not change the root password with other command?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is the procedure if you do not know the root password - if you do know the root password you can use the command passwd while logged in as root -

David Weinstein VCP, VCI, VTSP

Senior Consultantr | VMware | dweinstein@vmware.com | P: 847 999-8925 | F: 650 739-0499

0 Kudos
Krax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response.:)

0 Kudos
adgross
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you have to perform any additional steps on your VC since it uses root to connect to the host? I read a KB article that says you have to remove and re-add the host after changing the root password.

0 Kudos
tbraechter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ich bin zurzeit nicht im Hause. Ich kehre am 26.05.10 zurück. Bitte wenden Sie sich in dringenden Fällen an Thomas Dierkes (Thomas.Dierkes@havilog.com) oder Daniel Lübbe (Daniel.Luebbe@havilog.com).

I'm currently out of office. I will be back on 26.05.10. In urgent cases please contact Thomas Dierkes (Thomas.Dierkes@havilog.com) or Daniel Lübbe (Daniel.Luebbe@havilog.com).

0 Kudos