VMware Cloud Community
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor

Resource Pool

Hi,

Let say I have an ESX Server that has 32 GB of Memoy.

During setup of the Windows 2003 OS, I select 12 GB since it is 64-bit was requested by the administrator. Howerver, I know that it will not used up to 12 GB. So, If I put a restiriction on the resource pool that Max is 6 GB, does it means the VM will only get 6 GB Max and if I perform a winver on the OS, it will show 12 GB to trick the administrator?

In addition, Let say, i have a machine that is conifgure for 4 GB Memory. The system is not in a resource pool. If the system is idle, Am I right to say that will dynamically relased about 3 gb of memory to the esx for other machine to work on?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

if I perform a winver on the OS, it will show 12 GB to trick the administrator?

Yes, but you have to do it at VM level not pool level, otherwise ALL VM's will have this limit, under the same pool.

Also yes your VM's will share memory in a pool with other machines, if it's not being used.

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

I believe there is multiple way we use for resevation and resource pool. Usually reservation and resource pool is to ensure the processing and memory power you need to serve the dedicated system. If the servers is not going to use up to 12 GB, you can leave it for default value. In order to improve or decrease priority, you can always change the value setting from default to high, normal or low from the VM level.

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos