VMware Cloud Community
Linog
Contributor
Contributor

Slow VM power on ESX 3.5U4

Hi!

I have a strange problem with very slow VM power on (about 5 min). Creating a new VM also very slow (of cource, It depend on VM disk setting, but before Update4 creating were much faster). I have 3 servers ESX 3.5 Up4 163429, all VM on SAN EVA 4100. It doesn't matter new or old VM. Problem exist on every ESX host and don't resolved by reboot ESX host or VC. VC and ESX service console in same networks, there are no connectivity problem between them.

I have two vSphere servers connected to the same SAN but diffirent LUN presented. In vSphere VM starts immediatly without delay. Where can I find root case for slow power on

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

Do you see anything in the vmkernel log on the server in question ?

Maybe do a tail -f /var/log/vmkernel to see any new log information while starting up a server.

// Lars Liljeroth

-

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Linog
Contributor
Contributor

There are no any "?" (Questions, which always occured if you for example copy/move VM) on VM, and no any messages appers on logfile when I select power on VM from Virtual client. "Power on" task hold in state "In progres" about 5 min, then VM power on and immediatly I see messages in vmkernel log. How can I power vm from console?

0 Kudos
Linog
Contributor
Contributor

I find out that from console VM starts without any delay, and Virtual Client immediatly shows that VM power on. So, I think it is a problem between Virtual client and its communication with VC, or communication between VC and ESX hosts. How can I check it?

To run VM from console:

1) vmware-cmd -l -- to get list of VMs on ESX host

2) vmware-cmd <full path to virtual machine vmx file> start

I also find out that vmware-cmd failed to execute (Can't locate VMware/VmPerl.pm). To fix it - execute vmware-config.pl

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

Try to restart the Management service. Service mmgmt-vmware restart

Also you could try to remove and re add the host to vCenter.

// Lars Liljeroth

-

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
thickclouds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would look at the hostd or vpx logs for clues.

/var/log/vmware

/var/log/vmware/vpx

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/chuckgman

Charlie Gautreaux vExpert http://www.thickclouds.com
0 Kudos