VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Smart Start and Proliant Support Pack on Windows Virtual Machine

This is our first ESX implementation 3.0.1. The HOST is a Proliant DL380 G5.

(1) I'm about to build a VM but I'm unclear if I should boot off the Smart Start CD for the VM build?

(2) Also, once the OS is loaded will I install the latest Proliant Support Pack as I would for any other HP Proliant server?

My assumption is no to the first question and yes to the second but, I'm not sure about either.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

the is no requirement to boot the vm off the smartstart as there is no Compaq/HP harware in the VMGuest.

as the VM Guest is not a Compaq/HP machine there is not requriement to install the support pack.

there is however a support pack/smartstart for VMware ESX 3 I think it is 7.7 or 7.8

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
PatrickMSlatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The HP ProLiant Support Pack software for Windows actually checks the machine type during install, it will point-blank refuse to run on anything other than a physical ProLiant system.

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did some testing and the HP Support Pack does run and attempts to install everything. All drivers fail as you'd expect however; these 5 software packages and utilities install successfully:

HP ProLiant Integrated Management Log Viewer for Windows

HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows

HP ProLiant Array Diagnostics Utility for Windows

HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility (CLI) for Windows

HP Insight Diagnostics Online Edition for Windows[/b]

None of them function on a VM so it's probably not a big concern but, I'd prefer a way to prevent our staff from even attempting to install the support pack on VM systems. Anyone have any fool proof ideas?

Since they typically RDP into the server to install the Support Pack some will be oblivious that they are on a VM.

0 Kudos
MetroMan
Contributor
Contributor

Should your server support personnel be aware that you are deploying ESX virtual machines? How can they be expected to support servers, deploy software, etc., if an event as large as deploying production virtual machines is apparently some big secret in your organization?

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Of course they are aware but a NOC staff changes and new people come on frequently. Also, in our company, our NOC staff only handle certain types of server support and however well they are trained, if one person one time flakes, forgets and loads it, their being "aware" won't matter. I prefer to have fail safes in place whenever possible.

But thanks for your concern.

0 Kudos
PatrickMSlatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's interesting that some components of the HP Support Pack now install in a VM, it might have changed sometime in the past year or so. As I recall when I last tested this functionality (about 1 year ago) it came up with a very clear message on every package I tried that the install would only proceed on a HP ProLiant system. Of course it's entirely possible that I did not progress as far as the 5 you found as being possible to load...

As to preventing staff from loading unnecessary drivers, why not have a script that parses the machine type and then loads the correct driver set?

That's what we use, and while it takes a while to get it into the support staffs heads that they need to use the scripts rather than doings things by hand, it works much better at the end of the day (nothing forgotten!)

Snippets of sample scripts included:

:: install_drivers.cmd

@ECHO OFF

@ECHO Install hardware specific drivers

@ECHO \----

:INSTALL

REM HP ProLiant servers

cscript %SystemDrive%\Support\Scripts\WMI_Get_Manufacturer_and_Model.vbs | %SystemDrive%\Support\Scripts\grep -c "ProLiant">nul

IF %errorlevel% EQU 0 START "" /WAIT %SystemDrive%\Support\Drivers\HP\hp_drivers.cmd&GOTO END

REM Microsoft VMs

cscript %SystemDrive%\Support\Scripts\WMI_Get_Manufacturer_and_Model.vbs | %SystemDrive%\Support\Scripts\grep -c "Virtual Machine">nul

IF %errorlevel% EQU 0 START "" /WAIT %SystemDrive%\Support\Applications\VM.Additions\install_vm_additions.cmd&GOTO END

REM VMWare VMs

cscript %SystemDrive%\Support\Scripts\WMI_Get_Manufacturer_and_Model.vbs | %SystemDrive%\Support\Scripts\grep -c "VMware Virtual Platform">nul

IF %errorlevel% EQU 0 START "" /WAIT %SystemDrive%\Support\Applications\VMWare.Tools\install_vmware_tools.cmd&GOTO END

:: hp_drivers.cmd - This script is derived from the sample install script included with the HP ProLiant Support Pack

@ECHO off

@ECHO Install HP ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x86 Editions

@ECHO \----

REM Order of install is important, some items depend on Insight Agent and SNMP agent being installed.

set cpqreturn=1

:CHECKIFINSTALLED

@ECHO Checking if HP System Management is already installed...

cscript %SystemDrive%\Support\Scripts\validate_registry_entry_existance.vbs Value "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\System Management Homepage\Version">nul

IF %errorlevel% EQU 0 GOTO INSTALL

GOTO INSTALLED

:INSTALLED

@ECHO HP System Management has already been installed on this system.

@ECHO Installation of HP drivers and tools skipped.

GOTO END

:INSTALL

@ECHO Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP ProLiant DL385 (A05)...

START "" /WAIT %systemdrive%\Support\Drivers\HP\cp006424.exe /silent

if not "%_cpq_return%" == "0" (

if "%errorlevel%"=="2" set cpqreturn=2

if "%errorlevel%"=="0" set cpqreturn=0

)

@ECHO Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP ProLiant DL385 G2 (A09) Servers

START "" /WAIT %systemdrive%\Support\Drivers\HP\cp007422.exe /silent

if not "%_cpq_return%" == "0" (

if "%errorlevel%"=="2" set cpqreturn=2

if "%errorlevel%"=="0" set cpqreturn=0

)

:: WMI_Get_Manufacturer_and_Model.vbs

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:
" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _

"SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem",,48)

For Each objItem in colItems

Wscript.Echo "Manufacturer: " & objItem.Manufacturer

Wscript.Echo "Model: " & objItem.Model

Next

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion Patrick. I'll consider scripting a solution like yours.

After thinking about it I may just see if our staff can first follow directions. Should someone install it, it will be obvious and harmless. If it turns out that they just aren't getting it, we'll consider a scripting solution or Group Policy block of some kind.

0 Kudos
PatrickMSlatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One highly effective method of preventing installation of clearly defined programs is Cratering. See:

http://www.lanicu.com/index.cfm/whitepapers/Cratering_Survive_and_Prevent_Virus_Outbreaks

It's simple and you don't need any tools that are not already included in the Windows 2000/2003 standard install. You still need serious user re-education when you implement something like this though, otherwise they'll run around like chickens with their heads cut off the first couple of times the encounter a cratered file.

0 Kudos