VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage VMotion leaving additional disks where they are

I want to move a VM but, leave one of the additional attached disks where it is.

When using interactive mode for svmotion, at this point, "If you want the disks to stay with the virtual machine, then skip this step..Would you like to individually place the disks" . I say yes and identify the additional disk vmdk path.

It then asks for the destination....

1. I think if I enter the current (source) datastore for the destination, this additional disk will just stay where it is. Is this correct?

2. I also want to make sure when svmotion sees I've chosen the source datastore as the destination, it just leaves it there. More specifically, I want to make sure it isn't actually still moving the disk but to the same datastore. It is a large disk and I don't have enough space on the datastore if it is doing something like that.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The answer is in the help file for svmotion One thing I noticed is that the syntax is correct, except that the single quotes ' should be double quotes ". Other than that, the command line below will do exactly as you want, and it is basically what you were thinking. Files will not overwrite themself, so it won't try to copy the same disk into the same datastore.

Relocate a virtual machine's storage to new_datastore, but leave disks 1

and 2 in old_datastore:

svmotion --datacenter="My DC" --vm="[old_datastore] myvm/myvm.vmx:

new_datastore" --disks="[old_datastore] myvm/myvm_1.vmdk:

old_datastore, myvm/myvm_2.vmdk: old_datastore"

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Message was edited by: kjb007 : Trying to fix formatting.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The answer is in the help file for svmotion One thing I noticed is that the syntax is correct, except that the single quotes ' should be double quotes ". Other than that, the command line below will do exactly as you want, and it is basically what you were thinking. Files will not overwrite themself, so it won't try to copy the same disk into the same datastore.

Relocate a virtual machine's storage to new_datastore, but leave disks 1

and 2 in old_datastore:

svmotion --datacenter="My DC" --vm="[old_datastore] myvm/myvm.vmx:

new_datastore" --disks="[old_datastore] myvm/myvm_1.vmdk:

old_datastore, myvm/myvm_2.vmdk: old_datastore"

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Message was edited by: kjb007 : Trying to fix formatting.

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Let me know how it turns out.

Don't forget to leave points for helpfull/correct posts.

-KjB

VMware vExpert