VMware Cloud Community
Tommy3kGT
Contributor
Contributor

Transfering of VM from one ESX Server to another ESX Server

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to transfer a VM from one of my ES Server to another ESX Server I just setup. I do not have a SAN between them. And looking to transfer them over the net work.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Mike_Fink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tommy,

There are a ton of ways to do this. I would suggest using FTP or SCP to move it between the servers.

Turn off the VM.

Telnet to the host machine with the VM to be transferred.

FTP the .VMDK files and VMX files (everything in the directory) to the other server.

Once the FTP job is finished, register the VM through the VI client.

0 Kudos
Tommy3kGT
Contributor
Contributor

Mike,

Thats what I had in mind. Do you know where I can find the procedures to do the FTP Transfer, meaning the commands to do it?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: there's no telnet daemon or ftp server available in ESX3/VI3.

0 Kudos
Tommy3kGT
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still using version 2.5, So that FTP command should work?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

then FTP should work

0 Kudos
mattpound
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think you have to lower the default security on 2.5 to allow FTP'ing between servers.

Personally I would look to using the scp command to copy the files.

Message was edited by:

mattpound

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

yes

But I'd rather do it the followig anyway:

\- export the VMDK using vmkfstools, creating 2GB chunks (most FTP, SCP, ... clients can't handle large files)

\- copy the exported VMDK and other files to the other ESX using SCP

\- import the VMDK and register the VM

0 Kudos
Jeff_Shaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Use FastSCP, it's 6 times faster than scp.

Download:

http://veeam.com/download.asp?step=2&license_type=7

If you need more info about FastSCP, you can get it here: http://www.vmweekly.com/news/20070302/1/

Jeff

0 Kudos
Mayur_Patel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wouldn't using FastSCP to copy between ESX hosts take longer?? I mean Fast SCP has to pull the data over the network to your PC, then send it to the target Host.

Anyway, I like to use scp. Although you can export the vmdk files to smaller chunks, from what I understand, the scp client in ESX has been modified to handle large files. I beleive the FTP lient has also.

Mayur

0 Kudos
christiansen
Contributor
Contributor

We do it more comfortable with esxReplicator from www.vizioncore.com because

it's very easy to handle jobs like this. we bought this while we are not very familiar with linux os. you can schedule rep jobs and activate a notification by email if the job went wrong. it's enough - and not very expensive ...

regards

mark

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use Vmware converter to do this.

0 Kudos
Jeff_Shaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mayur,

The fact is that FastSCP copies files and vms directly from one esx to another. That's what makes it so fast. You can try it out yourself and see how much time it saves.

Jeff

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To copy between esx hosts use the scp command.

Before you can do that, you have to open the sshClient Service in the Service Console.

(esxcfg-firewall -e sshClient)

To copy a file use scp like that:

scp

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
Jeff_Shaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I've already said, scp is much slower than FastSCP. Btw, FastSCP doesn't require any additional actions - you just go and use it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Mayur_Patel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Jeff:

I stand corrected. You are correct. It seems to send the copy instructions to the ESX Hosts and then the copy happens between the 2 ESX hosts.

Mayur

0 Kudos
hicksnestle
Contributor
Contributor

esxReplicator does not support linux. esxReplicator needs root to run. esxReplicator cannot replicate more than 4 VM's at a time. Try it! Network hog.

0 Kudos
jmattox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

esxReplicator for Vi3, does support Linux VM's and does not need root over SSH to replicate.

0 Kudos
hicksnestle
Contributor
Contributor

That FastSCP works like a charm. I have evaluated just about everything. This is the best and very simple. BTW, the throughput and traffic for ESXReplicater is horrific. Nearly crashed my network. Don't try it with more than 2 VM's at a time.

Thanks for the tips!

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

So basically you are saying that esxReplicator was pushing close to 111MB/sec and crashing your network? Can you be a little more specific with these claims?

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos