VMware Cloud Community
Ph_Seifert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update to ESX 3.5 Update 4

Hi VMware Community,

i have two ESX Server with the patch level 3.5.0,123630. Now I want to install update 4 on both ESX server. First I will move all running VMs to the other ESX server by using VMotion. After patching the first ESX I will move back all VMs. Is it possible to run a cluster with different ESX versions? Whats the best practice in this case? All VMs should running while patching.

kind regards

Philipp Seifert

0 Kudos
13 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Yes, you should be fine running different releases of 3.5 within the same cluster.

You can find installation and upgrade guides here:

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

it should be ok to run the two different versions of ESX3.5 within the cluster. You might want to upgrade the version of virtual center to the latest updates to get full functionality.

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can you apply update 4 through Update Manager?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, VUM will get you to U4. Remember U4 requires a update to the VMware Guest Tools, so do the tools after your final Host is at U4. Also, if you aren't at U4 for vCenter I would suggest getting there first.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Should be able to. Make sure your vCenter is at U4 first though.

0 Kudos
Ph_Seifert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I update the vCenter to Update 4 should I first disconnect an remove all ESX host and after the update reconnect them?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If I update the vCenter to Update 4 should I first disconnect an remove all ESX host and after the update reconnect them?

no, that is not necessary.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_upgrade_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am seeing update 4 under Update Manager Repository, but when I scan my esx 3.5 host it does not show under the baseline i have setup. How can I move update 4 from repository to my baseline?

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Right click on the baseline you want to add it to and select edit baseline. From there go to the Inclusions section and find it in the list and use the arrow to add it to the Included Updates box.

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

do I need to remove the storage before applying ESX 3.5 update 4? or Update Manager will install it correctly.... I had to removed the storage when I upgraded to ESX 3.02 to 3.5

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to ESX 3.5 forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No need to remove the storage while updating 4,

Anuj

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VirtualCenter 2.5 U2, U3, and U4 are all supported with ESX 3.5 U4

0 Kudos