VMware Cloud Community
Stephen_Murphy
Contributor
Contributor

VCB Netbackup

Hello

i can't get VCB working with Netbackup.

Here is what i did.

Installed VCB on an newly installed Windows 2003. Before i installed NB Client 5.1 with MP4. Extracted the Netbackup zip and followed the Instructions.

I can use bpbrowse-start.bat to mount manual a VM Hostet on ESX 3. Now i can got to Netback and Chose with Driveletter or Path i would like to Backup. After that i run bpbrowse-end.bat to unmount the VM. Like the described in the Readme.

if i start the Backup Job now in Netbackup. Nothing happens. The VM is not mounted to the Mount Point specified in the config.js file.

Am i missing something? How to Backup a FullVM not only Files?

Greetings

Stephen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nigoool
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Stephen

I haven't used the Netbackup VCB module but the Tsm one I have used should be similar.

The steps to run that is:

run pre-command (browse-start) which mounts the desired VM to the proxy ( use the -FullVM switch for a full disk mount).

run your backup job, in this case tsm backs up the vmdk disks mounted on the proxyto tape

run post-command(browse-end) which unmounts the VM from the proxy.

0 Kudos
Stephen_Murphy
Contributor
Contributor

do you mean i always have to manual mount the vm and then do the backup job?

i thought vcb would do the job for me...

Message was edited by:

Stephen Murphy

0 Kudos
nigoool
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes all the VCB software does is mount the virtual disk files to a windows file system so that the thrid party backup software can then run and backup them up to tape and then once that's finished it will unmount the virtual disk files. With the Netbackup software you should be able to schedule this as a job that will run in three steps.

1. browse-start ( mounts virtual disk files to windows)

2. Netbackup backup job to tape

3. browse-end ( umounts previous disk files)

Nigel

0 Kudos
tempepa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

We did some testing and we had no problem in running backup jobs from within netbackup.

We are using netbackup version 6 and if i start job the netbackup is mounting the vmdk properly in the mnt directory.

The only thing I did was to modify the config.js file so that the defaults are explicitly set.

Also have a look at the log files that are generated in %temp% folder.

Remember to set the backup selection to c:\mnt\winxp-ceci.company.com\letters

Regards,

P

Message was edited by:

tempepa

0 Kudos
aevenot
Contributor
Contributor

Are pre-command and post-command scripts setup in your Netbackup software or you have just create a windows scheduled task that run before the backup job to achieve this.

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have the same environment, have tried using the bpbrowse-start.bat command, i got no error message, but nothing seems to happen.

Can you give some advise where to search for solving this problem, and how we are abele to run the backup with netbackup.

Arjan

0 Kudos