VMware Cloud Community
Krowten
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Tools for NetWare

I'm attempting to install VMWare tools on a NetWare 6.5 SP6 guest. For some reason, I cannot see the netware.iso on the guest when I install VM Ware tools.

Is there any other way to get the netware.iso so I can I install them?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

ESX keeps the VMware Tools images for each platform in:

/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages

The netware.iso image is in there as well.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Krowten
Contributor
Contributor

This may seems like a dumb question, but how do I get in there to get the ISO out (I'm more of the NetWare person, not the VMware person!).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Krowten
Contributor
Contributor

I just figured it out. The virtual CD-ROM is an IDE device and I noticed that the IDEATA.HAM driver was not loaded on the NetWare guest. Once I loaded that, I could see and mount the NetWare.iso. Since this server was migrated from an existing server with no IDE devices, hardware detection never picked up the IDE CDROM like it would have on a fresh install.

But I am still curious as to how I get into the ESX server to get to those images (I'm pretty much green with ESX!).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

You don't have to. From the console for the VM, you can do a Install VMware Tools, which should mount the CD for you. Otherwise you can manually edit the cd drive to point to the file, which you can browse for.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
Sourcery
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

To get access to the filesystem of the ESX-servers you need a SFTP client (Secure FTP) that you use to connect to the ESX server.

Here is a free SFTP client: http://www.winscp.com/

BEWARE once you are in the file system you can REALLY mess things up!

Cheers!

/Kristian - Ghosting a Novell server into ESX in this very moment...

0 Kudos