VMware Cloud Community
REALM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where is DNS stored? HA config question

I have 6 ESX 3.5 hosts on a private network. Not using DNS.

I have added IP's and hostnames to all hosts including the VC and confirmed they can ping each other by hostname.

Still getting an HA config error though. When I go into Vmotion switch properties on the VC, and look at the DNS configuration tab, it has:

Name: mktgvmw20 (correct)

Domain: blank nothing (correct)

Preferred DNS: 192.168.10.1 (not correct)

I want my preferred DNS to say nothing. I have 3 other hosts configured this way and they work with HA, but I can't figure out how to remove that DNS entry. When I try via the VC in that Window, it says, "The domain name is not in the correct format." and will not save any changes I make to that DNS Configuration tab. I don't want a domain name in there.

Where in ESX can I manually remove the Preferred DNS entry? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check /etc/resolv.conf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check /etc/resolv.conf

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

Just some exstra info regards HA and Best Practise... great doc.. -> http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2008/10/27/ha-best-practices/

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Since DNS is actually a requirement for most systems anymore (we are not living in NT4 days anymore), it is better to put in a generic FQDN then try to insist on ignoring network bnest practices.

There is nothing wrong with just using esx01.server.local as a dns name...

REALM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy's my hero... resolv.conf is where it was.

Rumple,

So in your example, esx01.server.local

What would I put as the domain name? Is all I have to do otherwise is still just add the .server.local onto all the hostnames I have now in the hosts files?

Thank you.

0 Kudos