VMware Cloud Community
f_wendel
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2003 SP2 loose network connection

Hello

I have a Windows 2003 Sp2 STD virtual machine, that unexpected the machine looses the network connection. The way to restore the service is easy, enter to the VC disconnect the nic and connect it again.

This machine is in a ESX 3.5 cluster with vmotion, HA and DRS, it is the only vmachine with this problem. Could someone help me? Which logs or log should be checked in order to find the root cause from the vmware side?

Thanks and regards

Federico

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello. Do you have the VMware Tools installed on this guest?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Federico,

What is the nic type in the VM (i.e. e1000, vmxnet etc) ?

--sanjana

0 Kudos
f_wendel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes, we have the vmtolls installed.

Thanks and regards

Federico

0 Kudos
f_wendel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The nic type is flexible.

Thanks and regards

Federico

0 Kudos
RicardoAugusto
Contributor
Contributor

What did you configure on port group (where this VM nic is connected) security tab?

Ricardo

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Federico,

Does it show up as a AMD PCNet adapter in the VM? Could you indicate the driver that is managing the nic? Is it an AMD Vlance driver or the vmxnet driver?

--sanjana

0 Kudos
f_wendel
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Yes, the nic is an AMD Pcnet. How can i check if the driverc is a vlance or vxnet?

On the virtual center I only see flexible or Enhanced xxxx (i can not remember)

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In windows, when you right-click on the nic in device manager and hit properties, there should be a driver details button. What file does it point to?

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi Federico, is there any differences in the vswitch configuration between the ESX hosts for the vswitch this vm attaches to (port groups, VLAN etc..)? I'm just wondering if this occurs after a DRS migration as DRS does not check VLAN info etc..

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos