VMware Cloud Community
daysleeper
Contributor
Contributor

esx server license...

Hi to all,

i have an esx server 3.5 and i'm waiting for the license, if the server reach the expiry date and i don't have the license...what happen to the server?!?

Thanks and best regards,

Carlo S.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You won't be able to start new VMs.

0 Kudos
daysleeper
Contributor
Contributor

But the guest os running on it continue to work normally?!?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Yes. But I'd contact VMware Sales anyway to get a new eval license.

Since you've already ordered the "real" license there shouldn't be any prolem.

homerjnick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had 2 Eval ESX Servers and we purchased the licenses after Production machines were running on them.

90 days later and the damn licenses still had not turned up from a local dealer.

The kind guys at VMWare Support gave me 3 extra Eval licenses to see us through.

No big deal as we didn't need to reboot any of the VM's so they were happily running even though our license had expired.

0 Kudos
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

once it expires, you can't power on or reboot vms.

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

the server will not be able to start and ESX guest VM's, any running machines will continue to functions, unless powered down. I would contact your reseller or VMware sales and ask for a Eval license file to see you through to full license delivery, you will need to create a FlexLM license server if you are using VirtualCenter, otherwise you could just license per host, but this gets dificult to manage as Host numbers grow

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos