VMware Cloud Community
kopsr
Contributor
Contributor

network migration

I have a question regarding a network migration. Currently we use a 3com netwerk with a 192.* network address. Our ESX servers are equipt with 4 NIC. 2 for vm's, 1 sc, 1 vmotion.

I seperated the 2 vm nic and now have 1 nic which can be bound to a new virtual switch. But... the vmnic is connect to the 3 com network. If I connect to nic to the cisco environment which is a 10.* network range would the vmic detect this and show a 10.* range ? If not should I reboot ?

I want to bound the nic to a new vswitch in a 10.* network and migrate my vm's at my convenience from the 192* network to the 10* network. Any other options would be appreciated.

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there, if you're concerned with what you're seeing in the the networks column, then you don't have to worry about that when you change switches. What you see in Networks is a 'network hint' and is based on broadcast traffic that ESX sees. Your VMs are limited to the range displayed so if you change a NIC from one switch to another it will be fine as soon as you change the IP address in the VM.

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

Just create a new vswitch for virtual machines and connect the nic to the cisco switch. That is it.

When you have done that, try to add the nic from the switch to a virtual machine and give it an ip address in the 10.x network and test if it works.

Frank

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos