VMware Cloud Community
surams
Contributor
Contributor

question on Backup and recovery of RDM disk

Hi,

I am aware that RDM disk ( data part) is not part of snapshot. My question is related to meta data associated with RDM disk.

I am facing some issue while taking backup and recovery of a VM having RDM disk.

Behavior of backup application is backup is successful and no DATA of RDM disk is backed up. But during recovery some how vm is registering RDM disk and a vmdk of RDM disk size is getting created.

This could be because of either vmx file or some data part of snapshot is having RDM disk information.

Can anybody please provide me how can I skip information of RDM disk so that during recover (while registering) I should not see any vmdk disk gets created of the size equivalent to RDM disk.

Please let me know if it is expected behavior or any thing can be done to snapshot so that during recovery I can should not see RDM.

Thanks & Regards,

surams

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which software of backup you are using ?

May your backup take snapshot to start backup, correct ?

If you´ve rdm in physical compatibility mode, this is limitation of rdm with physical compatibility mode.

now virtual compatibility you can use snapshot.

may this can be useful for you http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100659...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
surams
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

What I am looking is if a VMware snapshot is taken for a virtual machine having a RDM disk, will the snapshot (vmx file or any other configuration file that comes along with snapshot) holds any information about RDM disk attached to the vm?

As RDM DISK is not part of snapshot, the metadata or information abot RDM disk will present in the configuration information of a snapshot??

0 Kudos
tbraechter
Contributor
Contributor

Ich bin zurzeit nicht im Hause. Ich kehre am 24.07.12 zurück. Bitte wenden Sie sich in dringenden Fällen an Thomas Dierkes (Thomas.Dierkes@havilog.com) oder Daniel Lübbe (Daniel.Luebbe@havilog.com).

I'm currently out of office. I will be back on 24.07.12. In urgent cases please contact Thomas Dierkes (Thomas.Dierkes@havilog.com) or Daniel Lübbe (Daniel.Luebbe@havilog.com).

0 Kudos