VMware Cloud Community
akilar
Contributor
Contributor

Access Guest OS installed on ESX3.5

Hello All,

Am new to VMWare, got a chance to work with ESX3.5 and here am struggling with a very basic one. I have created a network of my own with a switch (no DHCP/DNS) and ESX runs on a HP Desktop and I use another laptop in which I have installed VIClient and have configured one WinXP and RHL as guest OS.

Now here is what I want to do, I wanted to use another 3rd machine and start using the WinXP guest OS, how do I do that? what are the tools required to do that? and is there any more configuration I have to do in ESX/Guest OS.

All the machine including Guest OS have static IP. Am NOT able to ping the guest machine from other machines and when I ping as local host from within the guest OS I get an reply (this means that the networking in guest OS is fine)

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

Thanks,

Akila R

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Now here is what I want to do, I wanted to use another 3rd machine and start using the WinXP guest OS, how do I do that? what are

the tools required to do that? and is there any more configuration I have to do in ESX/Guest OS.

1. You always can use the native mechanisms of a guest OS.

For Windows this is a RDP session or tools like (Tiny/Tight-)VNC. For Linux this can be a X session, ssh or again VNC.

2. You can use the vSphere client and its console function. What you get here is the virtualized physical console of the guest.

All the machine including Guest OS have static IP. Am NOT able to ping the guest machine from other machines and when I ping as

local host from within the guest OS I get an reply (this means that the networking in guest OS is fine)

You need to have a physical NIC attached to the vSwitch where the guest is connected to.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. Make sure your VM's are connected to a vwitch and the vswitch is connected to a physical NIC if you are trying to access any VM from any desktop/laptop outside.

2. You can install Thin client applications like VNC in your desktop/laptop and can access the VM through RDP.

3. IP address can be assigned at the port group level which is much easier.

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
akilar
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply guys. Now I understand why I was not able to ping my Guest OS. Could you guys please point me to a document on step by step instructions on how to configure VLAN. This would really be a lot help for me.

Thanks....Akila R

0 Kudos