VMware Cloud Community
sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Access Underlying Hardware

We have installed ESX 3i version 3.5 update 3 on a Dell PowerEdge 1955 blade.

Can anyone tell me if any tools exist to allow us to manage/access the underlying hardware on this server?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - What are you looking to do with the hardware?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for replying. We are mainly looking to monitor the memory modules inside the blade but also the temperatures. On our other blades we have a Windows set up and can monitor the hardware using the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator program.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I think you maybe out of luck, as ESXi does not have a service console you cannot install the Dell Openmanage agents into it. however contact your Dell representive as I believe their OEM branded version of ESXi has been modified to contain the binaries needed. this will however be a costed option.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
sbha
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos