VMware Cloud Community
matthewk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adaptec CIM and server health

ESXi looks interesting, but I'm very concerned with monitoring my RAID array. Since there's no Service Console, I can't install Adaptec Storage Manager (ASM). Does the current revision of ESXi support monitoring Adaptec 5 series SAS cards? If not, what comparable card would have support?

Just to clarify, I'm not asking about driver support - the 5 series is on the HCL - I'm concerned with monitoring in case a drive needs replacement.

112 Replies
JoFu
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean by that? Is my english that bad?

0 Kudos
FragKing
Contributor
Contributor

LOL.

Sorry, that was part of my e-mail autoreply message.

Seems like it has been cut off on the first sentence.

Cheers

http://www.quadrotech-it.com
0 Kudos
JoFu
Contributor
Contributor

I got a reply from Adatepc, they basically told me it's not their fault but VMWare.

They also send me this link: http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-5816

0 Kudos
jramiro
Contributor
Contributor

Workaround: create a RAID 0 array that spans all the disks you want to monitor. You can easyly check the status/health of this array in ESXi. If it fails, it means one (or more) of the disks has failed.

0 Kudos
Truelies
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All, so no news at all about the availability of a  RAID monitoring for ESXi 4.0 and Adaptec controllers, correct? :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
keebs201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Adaptec sent me this on 01-12-11:

Hello from Adaptec,

thank you for your reply.
We are still working on it, and we hope to have a CIM for ESXi for the next release coming in March.

Kind regards

Adaptec technical Support

Can anyone provide any insight on how they installed the command line monitoring utilities? I have SSH access and copied the files to the datastore on esxi 4.1, but the RPM commands won't run on ESXi, so how did you get past that point?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Any of the monitoring agents for ESX would not function for ESXi. ESX has a semi complete Lunux console based on Redhat 5.x whereas ESXi has a very lightweight busybox console and lacks most of the libraries, etc. that would be required.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
keebs201110141
Contributor
Contributor

DSavert, Although you are correct based on the design of ESXi, I've found at least two individuals who have successfully installed the CLI utilities within ESXi - so it can be done. I'm looking for assistance from those individuals.

0 Kudos
invNT
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using (patched) arcconf for about 1 year. And there is a simple monitoring script that connects via ssh to the ESXi box periodically and checks its raid status. So for now i almost lost any interest to adaptec CIM progress Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

http://unix.soteks.org/2009/linux/arcconf-bash-reporting-script/#more-154 for the script.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
davidemiccone
Contributor
Contributor

Hello invNT how have you patched arcconf?

Trying to use arcconf under vSphere ESXi 4.1 I get

arcconf: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

obviously because ESXi has libstdc++.so.6. I cantt install compat-libstdc++-3 on ESXi, and I don't wont to install new software. Is it possibily to re-compile arcconf that use libstdc++.so.6

Any conseil will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Firemike1
Contributor
Contributor

hello

you can get arcconf running on ESXi this way

# cp libstdc++.so.5.0.7  /lib64
# chmod 755  libstdc++.so.5.0.7
# ln -s libstdc++.so.5.0.7  libstdc++.so.5

# ./arcconf-64 GETCONFIG 1 LD

but acconf wont find any raidcontroller because of

"arcconf looks for /dev/aac0, /dev/aac1, etc, wheheas ESXi has /dev/aac"

now - how to do a symlinc in folder  /dev ?

or patch arcconf ?

0 Kudos
davidemiccone
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

have you found any way to let arcconf work on ESXi?

Any conseil will be appreciated.

Who are the individuals tha have successfully installed the CLI?  I installed the CLI, arcconf run but don't find the controller..... 😞

0 Kudos
riks06
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Firemike1,
I have tried for two days to see if i succeeded to find a version patch of arcconf, but i don't have found.

You could explain to me like modification arcconf or sent your patch version of arcconf?
You would be of great aid.

Best Regards

Riccardo

0 Kudos
riks06
Contributor
Contributor

please please no one can I help me?

0 Kudos
invNT
Contributor
Contributor

What RAID card do you have? The patched (hacked) version of esxi proved to be stable for 5805, 4000sas - compatible.

(Update: for 2405 it reportedly works stable as well)

0 Kudos
riks06
Contributor
Contributor

Hello invNT,

I have a controller adaptec 2020zcr.

You cold send the file arcconf or explain to me as you have made to modify it?

Thanks for the fast answer.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
gadina
Contributor
Contributor

invNT, would you help us with manual - how to patch arcconf for ESXi 4.1 ?

Also - it is possible to use patched arcconf with Adaptec 2405 ?

Will waiting for your answer.

Any help will be appreciated  )

0 Kudos
molko
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

there is a new Adaptec CIM Provider v7.00.18781 for VMware (http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/storage_manager/cim_vmware_v7_00_18781_zip.htm) compatible to my Adaptec RAID 5805. I follow the procedures to install

-vmware -v: VMware ESXi 4.1.0 build-348481

-esxupdate query --vib-view|grep aacraid -> Output
deb_vmware-esx-drivers-scsi-aacraid_400.4.1.1.5.1-1vmw.1.4.348481        installed     2011-01-13T01:34:35+00:00       
cross_vmware-esx-drivers-scsi-aacraid_400.4.1.7.28000-1OEM                 installed     2011-04-14T10:49:32.121619+00:00

On the esxi machine :

-esxupdate ‐‐bundle=arcconf‐18781.zip ‐‐nodeps ‐‐nosigcheck ‐‐maintenancemode update

reboot esxi

Install on ESXi 4.1 Linux GuestOS (centos 5.5)

./ remote‐arcconf‐7.00‐18781.i386.bin

reboot Guest

Connection from Linux GuestOS to esxi host works but arcconf founds no Controller:

arcconf  GETCONFIG 0

Controllers found: 0
Invalid controller number.

Maybe it's the problem Firemike1 mentioned :

"arcconf looks for /dev/aac0, /dev/aac1, etc, wheheas ESXi has /dev/aac"

now - how to do a symlinc in folder  /dev ?

or patch arcconf ?"

(ln -s aac aac0 -> ln: aac0: Function not implemented)

Any help will be appreciated  )

0 Kudos
Firemike1
Contributor
Contributor

Additional to your new CIM-provider installation

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/storage_manager/cim_vmware_v7_00_18781_zip.htm

you will have to check if the Driver version 28000 is installed on the ESX-i Host system for the ADAPTEC Controller.

For example try the following.

1. Use ‘vmkload_mod -s aacraid’ to list the driver version:
    # vmkload_mod -s aacraid

2. or Use ‘esxupdate query’ to query the aacraid driver package:
    esxupdate query --vib-view | grep -i aacraid

You can find the download to the 28000 driver here.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/aac/linux/aacraid_vmware_esx_esxi_drivers_1_1_7-28000_tgz.ht...

Here are the instructions on how to update the drivers ( be sure to take the .vib file for esx-i )

Copy ‘vmware-esxi-drivers-scsi-aacraid-400.4.1.7.28000-1.0.4.260247.x86_64.vib’ to a local directory on ESXi 4.1 (eg. /tmp).

/tmp  # esxupdate -b  vmware-esxi-drivers-scsi-aacraid-400.4.1.7.28000-1.0.4.260247.x86_64.vib  --nodeps --maintenancemode --nosigcheck update

In your remoteVM  try the command  arcconf GETCONFIG 1 AD

Should run now !

0 Kudos