VMware Cloud Community
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone used Ghost in VMWare ESXi 3.5 Environment

Has anyone used Ghost in VMWare ESXi 3.5 Environment to recover/update images of systems? I'm in a Q&E lab where we build out different environments with different software releases using Ghost. I've a VMWare Infrastructure with about half a dozen VMs (all Microsoft Windows 2003 servers). I need to use my ghost image within those VMs. Any recommendations or guidance?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
smeilinger
Contributor
Contributor

I have used Ghost in the past as an alternate method to deploying a Template instead of using the Customization Wizard and had success. If you choose to use Ghost: Be sure to remove MOM/SCOM, SMS and WSUS, DHCP the server and then run SYSPREP before you create your Ghost image.

However it is much easier to create yourself a Template from your source server and use the Customization Wizard - the wizard takes you though all the Windows SYSPREP questions: Owner's Name, Organization, VM name, Product ID and Administrator Password. This way you only have to answer the SYSPREP questions 1x and not each time you deploy a server with that OS.

I used both methods over the last couple years and the Customization Wizard is much easier for me.

0 Kudos