VMware Cloud Community
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor

Don't get network config options after ESX 3i 3.5 install

I've installed ESX 3i 3.5 onto a windows xp machine. Whether I'm using a dhcp server or a specified ip address prior to the install, I don't get the options to configure my network after the install. The only options I get are " Cancel". Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

We need more details please - How did you install ESXi 3.5 on windows xp machine? Did you remove xp and install it on the hardware or are you hosting it? If so what is your host software, VMware Workstation? Which version?

If you installed directly to the hardware as a hypervisor, there could be an issue with your NIC not being detected/supported.

-

Robert

BSIT, MCP, A+, VCP (VI3)

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor

Installed VMWare ESX 3i 3.5 server directly to the hardware as a hypervisor. Followed installation instructions in Getting Starting and Setup Guide. Should have been very straight forward.ed After the install, per the docs, I need to modify the root password and network settings. I don't have the screens showing that allow me to modify the network settings. From reading various posts I'm thinking I may have a nic thats not supported. I don't know the exact type, all I do know is that it's a Broadcom 57xx nic. Several Broadcom nics of the 57xx are supported, but this may be my problem. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Installed VMWare ESX 3i 3.5 server directly to the hardware as a hypervisor.

>I don't know the exact type, all I do know is that it's a Broadcom 57xx nic. Several Broadcom nics of the 57xx are supported, but this may be my problem.

You may have a look on Dave Mishchenko's site for any known issue with your mainboard/pc-type.

Another way may be to run an actual linux live cd to identify the exact model of the nic (output of the "lspci" cmd). The builtin "lspci" of the unsupported console of the ESXi host itself may not list your device because it's database is stripped down to supported devices.

5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor

My problem ended up being the network and gateway settings for my environment. We have two network environments and I had incorrrectly assumed which subnet and gateway was to be be used. When I corrected the subnet and gateway entries, I was able to modify the network settings.

0 Kudos