VMware Cloud Community
Bones18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Exchange 2007 to ESXi...

Using VM Converter 3.0.3, I have converted my Exchange 2007 server to .vmdk files (P2V). Then I use VM Converter to move Exchange 2007 to ESXi (V2V).

The V2V fails at 57% both times.

Are there any known issues with this type of conversion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using VM Converter 3.0.3, I have converted my Exchange 2007 server to .vmdk files (P2V). Then I use VM Converter to move Exchange 2007 to ESXi (V2V).

Actually despite comments you may receive, this is best method to use, rather than going direct, because you don't know where the problem is. The first hurdle (and biggest problem) is converting from a physical box. It should be quite simple to use VM converter and move it ESX 3i after that.

Where are the vmdk files located, someplace shared on the network, and therefore you are using a network share to put them on ESX 3i? The fact that it fails at 57% is significant, this may seem trivial, but are you SURE there is enough space on the 3i server? It seems to bomb at precisely the same point indicating something on the ESX side is the problem.

Then you might setup a VM with JUST VM converter, and put it on the same network as ESX 3i management, and copy the vmdk files to that VM. Then try the conversion again. I rarely if ever have problems pushing files to ESX from stand alone VM's, which is why I am suspecting something on the ESX server itself.

Also one other thing, how big is your Exchange vmdk? Is it bigger than 256G? And is the datastore on ESX a 1Meg block size? Maybe you are trying to copy files bigger than the block size can allow. . . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

May I suggest going directly from p2v into the ESXI. This may do it for you. I have done this with many server 2003 machines.

0 Kudos
Bones18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Formatter,

I was not able to p2v directly into ESXi... maybe this is due to my installation being the "Free" version.

I was able to p2v 2 domain controllers and a file server into vmdk's, then I v2v them into ESXi.

p2v of Exch2007 works, but the v2v part fails at 57% on both attempts.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Between 5% and 90%, Converter is just copying data. So failure at 57% would seem to indicate a problem in your connectivity to the ESX server. CAn you run Converter on another machine?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Actually despite comments you may receive, this is best method to use, rather than going direct, because you don't know where the problem is. The first hurdle (and biggest problem) is converting from a physical box. It should be quite simple to use VM converter and move it ESX 3i after that.

Where are the vmdk files located, someplace shared on the network, and therefore you are using a network share to put them on ESX 3i? The fact that it fails at 57% is significant, this may seem trivial, but are you SURE there is enough space on the 3i server? It seems to bomb at precisely the same point indicating something on the ESX side is the problem.

Then you might setup a VM with JUST VM converter, and put it on the same network as ESX 3i management, and copy the vmdk files to that VM. Then try the conversion again. I rarely if ever have problems pushing files to ESX from stand alone VM's, which is why I am suspecting something on the ESX server itself.

Also one other thing, how big is your Exchange vmdk? Is it bigger than 256G? And is the datastore on ESX a 1Meg block size? Maybe you are trying to copy files bigger than the block size can allow. . . . .

0 Kudos
Bones18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the Exchange 2007 VMDK files on a physical server with 1TB of disk space.

the physical server and the ESXi are connected via a switch.

The Exchange VMDK's are 403GB and teh ESXi has 700GB+ free disk space.

The datastore on ESXi is using 1MB block size and the VMDK's are bigger than 256GB!

I assume that is bad....

0 Kudos
Bones18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah ha! I just found this from your (RParker's) previous post regarding Block Size and Limits:

Block size File size limit

1MB 256MB

2MB 512MB

4MB 1TB

8MB 2TB

Now is there any negative's to using a larger block size? Why would the limit be so low??

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Now is there any negative's to using a larger block size? Why would the limit be so low??

To optimize file space. If the block size were normally 8 MB, then ALL small files would occupy 8MB whether or not they were actually 8MB or size or not, so that's why they do that. Normally there isn't a cap on file sizes, but maybe VM Ware has a reason for this file system, its proprietary to ESX.

0 Kudos
Bones18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have rebuilt the iSCSI storage to use 4MB Block Size and was convinced this was the issue but I am still failing at 57%.

the end of the "vmware-client-0.log" is below:

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(vim.fault.NotAuthenticated)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

Job 2 changing state from 1 to 2

Serializing job 2

Archiving job to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000002.xml

Raising event 2 for job 2

Raising event 4 for job 2

Raising event 6 for job 2

Shutting down VMDB service...

Unregistering callback...

...done

Does this mean anything to anyone??

Thanks,

Andy.

0 Kudos