VMware Cloud Community
edrct2k9
Contributor
Contributor

Help.. I am trying to install ESXi on a Dell 2950

I am trying to install ESXi on a Dell 2950. I have seemingly tried everything to create the boot CD but each time I try to load the server, it never sees the CD. Who would have thought the hardest part would be creating the CD. Any Help would be greatly appreciated, this has been a humbling experiment thus far.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Well, that is strange Smiley Happy What you should do to figure out where the problem is: Try to boot the server from a different bootable CD (e.g. Windows) If taht works -> The ESXi CD is the problem. Verify the Image is ok and you burned it correct and bootable.

Try to boot another system from the ESXi CD. If that works -> The Server is the problem. Check boot sequence, boot menue, BIOS.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

What do you see in the CD after you burn? where are you burning it? did you check the md5sum of the image you have downloaded ???

-Surya

0 Kudos
dinnu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try any other boot CD such as Windows to test whether the drive is working or not. Try burning another ESXi CD with low write speed like 24x or 32x and use it.

Guess this helps.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. See if you can put the controller that the CD is attached to into IDE mode. Alternatively, you can install from USB flash drive or PXE server - see www.vm-help.com.

0 Kudos
edrct2k9
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Iwas able to sucessfully install using USB boot. I appreciate all the responses, my CD drive was the problem.

0 Kudos