VMware Cloud Community
TomT42
Contributor
Contributor

How to install VMWare Tools

Hello.

My server has ESXi, and I set up Windows 7 as a guest OS. Because this is the first time to use ESXi, I could not find a way to install VMWare tools.

I searched the past forum, and looks like I need an ISO file to install the tools.

Somebody explained that it is in the particular folder in the case of VMWare server for Windows. However, I cannot find it on ESXi.

May I have your advice?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert

You just need to right click the VM and choose "Install VMware Tools".

The .iso file forthat OS type will be mounted by ESX/ESXi which was copied when it was installed.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not believe VMware tools is available for windows 7

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
TomT42
Contributor
Contributor

The menu of "Insatall/Upgrade VMWare Tools" is inactive, and I cannot select it. Is it just beucase of Windows 7?

0 Kudos
jungsberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For my windows 7, i selected Vista 32 Bit as the OS, and shown on the picture is one way of installing the vmware tools:

Kind Regards

Torben Jungsbeg

Kind Regards Torben Jungsberg
0 Kudos