VMware Cloud Community
seedeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to retrieve a large vmdk file in ESXi?

Hello,

I am in desperate need of help. I have a server using ESXi. One of the virtual machines of this server had a mail server on it which our clients used. We needed to move this mail server to another location. When I tried re-creating the virtual machine with the same mail server (for testing purposes) all of a sudden, the large vmdk file disappeared. Obviously, when I try to load the machine now, it gives a "File Not Found" error.

I read on some other pages about how to re-create the vmdk file but these were all on ESX and didn't work for me. The best method was this.

Please can someone help me on how can I recover the large vmdk file?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

seedeg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok... explaining:

A VMDK file is the union between a VMNAME.vmdk header file and a VMNAME-flat.vmdk file. On browser datastore, when you have both, they appear as one, as on the second screenshot.

The vm always points to the VMNAME.vmdk file, which points to the VMNAME-flat.vmdk, which is the one that really contains the data. You can never see the flat once both files are on the datastore, but sometimes people erase it and I was suggesting that maybe this have happened to you.

The 00000.vmdk files are snapshots. They are change logs on the original flat file, but if you haven't it you can't reconstruct from the change logs because you do not have the original data mapping.

You may need to call some specialized company to recover files from disks, or look for some tool that performs this in VMFS volumes - I really don't know any, as VMFS is too simple and don't keep track of deleted files unless you take a snapshot of the filesystem in a certain time.

If you don't have backups, and can file the VMDK or the flar.VMDK anywhere, there is nothing more I can do to help you. Sorry about that Smiley Sad

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

First thing you must look for is for the flat file. His name is VMNAME-flat.vmdk. If you are browsing datastore and can't find this file, there is no other thing to do.

I am imagining what can be the cause of the problem - maybe you added a second VM pointing to this disk and after a while you deleted it from disk... maybe...

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
seedeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I do not have any vmdk containing the phrase 'flat' and all the other virtual machines are working. However, obviously in the other machines, I have a vmdk file which is as large as the hard drive.

On my machine which is not working, this file has gone. However, in every machine there are 4 other vmdks entitled VMNAME-000001, VMNAME-000002, etc... which are large as well. I think that these in total amount to the total amount of disk space used. (Please note screenshots attached below).

Isn't there any way how I can re-create the large vmdk from these other smaller ones?

If there isn't i'm in big trouble Smiley Sad

Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks and Regards,

seedeg

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok... explaining:

A VMDK file is the union between a VMNAME.vmdk header file and a VMNAME-flat.vmdk file. On browser datastore, when you have both, they appear as one, as on the second screenshot.

The vm always points to the VMNAME.vmdk file, which points to the VMNAME-flat.vmdk, which is the one that really contains the data. You can never see the flat once both files are on the datastore, but sometimes people erase it and I was suggesting that maybe this have happened to you.

The 00000.vmdk files are snapshots. They are change logs on the original flat file, but if you haven't it you can't reconstruct from the change logs because you do not have the original data mapping.

You may need to call some specialized company to recover files from disks, or look for some tool that performs this in VMFS volumes - I really don't know any, as VMFS is too simple and don't keep track of deleted files unless you take a snapshot of the filesystem in a certain time.

If you don't have backups, and can file the VMDK or the flar.VMDK anywhere, there is nothing more I can do to help you. Sorry about that Smiley Sad

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
seedeg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.

Now i have a better understanding of what happened.

The only drawback is that I cannot do anything... Now I have to think of something to say to my clients.

Thanks and Regards,

seedeg

0 Kudos