VMware Cloud Community
Petmonster
Contributor
Contributor

Multi Array ESXi Install

Hey All,

Quick question about a potential ESXi install we're considering. It'll be on a Supermicro 2U chassis/dual Xeon platorm, but will contail (2) raid controllers each having its own Raid 5 array. Is it possible to specify during the ESXi install which array to use, or does it just read it as two large drives or one datapool? Our plan had been to have one Virtual machine using the smaller Raid 5 and another using the larger Raid 5. I'm not entirely sure this is possible, but I wanted to ask anyway. Can that be specified during the install? Appreciate any info. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - Yes you will be able to select which raid to install to - also do not forget to check the Hardware Compatability Lists to make sure your machines and RAID cards are supported -

If you find this or any other answer useful please ocnsider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Petmonster
Contributor
Contributor

Weinstein,

thanks for the quick reply. Another question quickly.....okay I choose Raid #1 for the ESXi install, but am I able to choose Raid #2 later on when setting up virtual machines? Or is only the array that ESXi itself loaded on selectable for a datapool? Thanks again!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No should be able to choose raid 2 later on and place a VMFS datastore there -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful