VMware Cloud Community
cSonnierEsxi
Contributor
Contributor

Need to get more out of my NIC's in ESXi, please give me suggestions!

I am fairly new to VMware ESXi and am having some troubles "perfecting" my setup. My ideal setup would include: All "Koco" Machines on there own switch using their own nic, and the other servers, seperate using their own nic. I will be installing another nic and set it up for my iSCSI targets which at this point is not my worry.

Right now when I run VM's on my second switch I only get traffic out of one NIC. I assigned one nic to each switch but still am only getting activity out of NIC1.

Please if you can lend any suggestion to get more out of my nic's that would be greatly appreciated.

I provided two screenshots below that may help you understand where I sit.

*( I know there are vm's powered on the second switch but it makes no difference cause the traffic all goes out NIC1)

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - If you have assigned a single physical NIC to your virtual switch than of course the network traffic will only go out a single physical NIC - can you provide a screen shot of your network configuration form the VI Client -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
cSonnierEsxi
Contributor
Contributor

I attached a picture of my network setup in my previous post. If you need another please let me know. Sorry if my first post was not clear. I have 2 nics and 2 switches, I want the machines on vSwitch 1 to use NIC 1 only and the machines on vSwitch 2 to use NIC 2 only. If that clears things up a litte.

Switch1==========>Nic 1 (only)

Switch2==========>Nic 2(only)

I do need all machines to remain on the same subnet.

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry I had missed your screen shots - looking at those screen shots the reason you have no traffic going out the second NIC is because none of the VMs are powered on the second vcwitch -

0 Kudos
cSonnierEsxi
Contributor
Contributor

I have the machines powered off at this time, but when they are powered on there is no traffic out NIC 2. The screen shot was just a reference how they are set up. Any reason as to why only one nic is getting activity. I am going to provide some more screen shots here of my switch configuration shortly.

Thanks Again.

0 Kudos
cSonnierEsxi
Contributor
Contributor

Here are some screen shots. More attached to next post

0 Kudos
cSonnierEsxi
Contributor
Contributor

The rest of my config shots. Please help me find what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Once again I will take the easy answer - the VMs on vswitch2 what do they do? Have you looked at the VMs

running on the second vswitch and see what type of network activity

they are running? Maybe they are not generating large amounts of traffic or from your graphes at all?

0 Kudos
cSonnierEsxi
Contributor
Contributor

The VM's that will be on the second switch are constantly on the internet and though the traffic may not be overwhelming, I would like to keep it separate from NIC 1, which contains servers. I have monitored the NIC's for days with 4 VM's running on them and the graph you see is the same as the machines running. I put it there mostly for reference, but looks the same with vm's on or off. If you think it would help I can power on the machines and create high internet activity and show you both the machine performance graph and the ESXi network graph??

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I can tell you this there is no way for Koco machines to communicate through vmnic1 as long as they are connected only to vswitch2 - if they are connected to both then I would take a look at yur networking configuariotn and see how that is configured --

0 Kudos