VMware Cloud Community
VMGlugger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Quad Core Processors

If my server running ESXi has a Quad core processor - Is there any performance improvenent to be gained specifically choosing to assign 4 CPUs to a Server 2003 VM or if I just leave it at 1 core, will ESXi use all four cores to my best advantage ?

Does it make any difference ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

best practice is to always start with 1vCPU and work your way up. You will usually find 1vCPU will be sufficient. From there you would go to 2vCPU's. I don't think 4 is a good idea.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

best practice is to always start with 1vCPU and work your way up. You will usually find 1vCPU will be sufficient. From there you would go to 2vCPU's. I don't think 4 is a good idea.

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1 vCPU and 2vCPU depend on your system or OS kernel support for SMP or multi processor support so depend on that you should choise but recommanded is 1 vCPU and above that depend on your application and VM resource requirement.

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Thanks

Satish Patel

• Journey toward "Virtual world"

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Best Practice as Troy says is to use a single vCPU and grow to 2vCPUs, if you havea single Quad Core CPU a 4 way vCPU server is most definately not a good idea. VMware schedules resources by the number of vCPU. A pCPU or pCORE is required for each vCPU in the server to service instructions, this has been changed slightly in vSphere but in not in V

What this means in reality is that a single vCPU Guest will require 1 pCPU or Core per instruction cycle (in the guest) a dual vCPU guest will require 2 pCPU or Cores and a Quad vCPU guest will require 4.

the chances of a core or cores being available to service a guest is preportional to the number of cores in the machine, and the number of guest that host is running.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos