VMware Cloud Community
Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Quick Question

Sorry for the noob question but I just donwloaded and install ESXi for testing. My question is... Is everything done via the Infrastructure client? Meaning building all images/etc? Nothing is actually done from the Host machine correct? I downloaded the infrastructure client and it is telling me it is a 60day evaluation? Is this correct? If so then ESXi is not really free as it pointless without the client right? Or maybe there is another way to manage/build images? Thanks for your answers... It was just a quick question... I will not read more on the documentation to see if I find anything.

What I dont want to happen is start getting things deployed and then find out later I have to buy something because my trial version is now up.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>

ESXi is free but not Infrastructure client you can manage you ESXi via RCLI if you familier with CLI

that is not a true statement. The client comes as part of ESX(i). All you need to do is point a web browser to the ip/hostname of your ESX(i) Host and download the VIC.....it is free

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>

My question is... Is everything done via the Infrastructure client? Meaning building all images/etc? Nothing is actually done from the Host machine correct?

Yes, for ESXi you can do pretty much everything from the client

I downloaded the infrastructure client and it is telling me it is a 60day evaluation? Is this correct? If so then ESXi is not really free as it pointless without the client right? Or maybe there is another way to manage/build images?

When you registered for ESXi, you would have been asked how many CPU's you needed. You would then have recieved an email with your activation key, that needs to be added into the license source

>Thanks for your answers... It was just a quick question... I will not read more on the documentation to see if I find anything.

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pages/vi_pubs_35u2_3i_i.html

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi is free but not Infrastructure client you can manage you ESXi via RCLI if you familier with CLI

Also read this URL http://vmetc.com/2008/08/10/whats-the-difference-between-free-esxi-and-licensed-esxi/

• If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Thanks

Satish Patel

• Journey toward "Virtual world"

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>

that is not a true statement. The client comes as part of ESX(i). All you need to do is point a web browser to the ip/hostname of your ESX(i) Host and download the VIC.....it is free

0 Kudos
Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much... I will have to figure this out. I have logged into my account and chose the # of proc's/etc. And have also gotten the serial #... Where do I actuall put this # in?

Thanks again guys!

0 Kudos
Mlindsey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out thanks... However I have one more question please.

I cannot seem to get my Vritual Machine to boot of the DVD ROM to install the OS... It just repeats trying to boot of the NIC. I have went into the BIOS from the console and made sure DVD/CDROM is first boot option... I have also made sure DVD/CD is connected at power on. I have since also made sure the NIC is not connecting at power on.

However I reboot and same thing... It try's to boot from the NIC and never checks the DVD/CD.... I looked at a few things online with no avail yet.

0 Kudos