VMware Cloud Community
jalons
Contributor
Contributor

Remove iSCSI target?

I've got a ESXi machine, latest version, etc, connected to an iSCSI network. During testing I connected it to a development san, but now wish to move it to the production san, however I can't seem to actually remove the LUN from the Storage Adapaters area.

I've removed everything I can, including the record for the iSCSI target, attempted disabling/reneabling iSCSI on the vmware server, and yet the LUNs still exist.

Is this normal? Is there a way I can remove the iSCSI records from the system manually since it doesn't seem to want to when I rescan the host, remove/disable iSCSI/etc? Do I need to treat it like a windows box and reboot it when it acts odd?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

do you use software initiator?

0 Kudos
jalons
Contributor
Contributor

No. This is via ESXi's storage adapter ability, not a host.

I deleted the hosts from the iSCSI storage adapter area, disabled iSCSI, halted all systems, entered maintenance mode, rebooted the ESXi host, exited maint mode, and the iSCSI record I wanted to delete is finally gone.

If anybody has a way that doesn't involve rebooting the actual hypervisor I'd love to hear it.

0 Kudos
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No. This is via ESXi's storage adapter ability, not a host. <--- this is ESX software initiator...

however the same problem for me in past...

check http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf at page 91

0 Kudos
jalons
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I see what you mean.

Yes, it's VMWare's iscsi adapter, not a TOE card or similar.

0 Kudos
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly. The very useful vmware software iscsi initiator.

Please remember to mark answered or helpful every answer that you considered "answered" & "helpful"

Have a nice day

0 Kudos
Haxim
Contributor
Contributor

I take it you've already removed the IPs from the Dynamic Discovery properties of the iSCSI Initiator? Have you tried a rescan under the storage adapters section, or a refresh under the storage section?

0 Kudos
jalons
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I had removed the IPs from the Dynamic Discovery properties of the iSCSI initator, attempted to rescan under storage and networking adapters, refreshed under storage - nothing was successful, but it turns out this is expected (albeit extremely annoying) behavior.

As riker82 pointed out, on page 91 of the iSCSI SAN configuration guide: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf

Removing Datastores

Using the VI Client, you can remove a datastore from being used as storage for virtual 

machines. You cannot remove targets in software iSCSI, except by rebooting.

So it's by design. I disagree with its necessity and feel it's simply an unpolished and unfinished area, but there it is, laid out all "official like."

0 Kudos
Yulman
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you, this quite pointless to have to reboot the whole ESXi server.

I ran into the same problem as you did, only I had production servers running on the ESXi server.

So I had to stop them all...therefore preventing users from using them just to remove targets in ESXi.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you have a support contract with VMware I'd suggest openning a service request about this and if not then a post in the product suggestions forum - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/suggest/product. That's more likely to get the attention of those that can change this 'feature'.

0 Kudos
Yulman
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe we should,

actually, that's a good idea since when we purchased VMWare stuff it was mostly for Business CONTINUITY...LOL

0 Kudos