VMware Cloud Community
fasi74
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Esxi guest stop after i login the OS

I have an esxi 3.5 server which has a couple of Windows 2003 Guests , the problem is that one of the guest os just goes into stop estate when ever i login to its Windows i just see the desktop for a couple of sec's and then the guest just shuts down, without giving any error or alearts. this guest was actually running on another server (AMD) until i moved it recently to a Intel based server with the help of Vmware Converter 4.0.

also if i dont login to the os and just leave it on the ctrl + alt + del screen the guest goes on running without giving any errors also provides all the network services it is suppose to provide, this is a very strange problem i hope anyone can help me fix.

regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
stwynam
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there. You could try copying the complete contents of the virtual machine directory from it's original location on the AMD server (was this ESXi too?) to the Intel-based ESXi host. From my understanding, there is no need to use the converter tool since the virtual machines virtual hardware should be the same version. This is assuming that the VM came from an ESXI host on the AMD machine.

If this doesn't work, could you supply from more details regarding the faulty VM and the AMD host please?

Thanks.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
fasi74
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry i forgot to mention that the AMD host was a Vmware esx and on intel there is Esxi .. thats y i used to converter to cater with hardware and software difficulty ..

what else information you want ?

thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
stwynam
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Sorry this reply is late, I've been away for a few days. Have you tried just moving the folder with the VM files in across from the AMD ESXi to the Intel ESXi server? I had a similar problem with VM Converter (although not exactly the same) and found that just moving the folder where the VM's files are located to the new ESXi server and then adding the VM to the inventory worked. This allowed me to power up the VM without any issue.

Other than this, I'm not sure... Is there anyone else who can suggest anything?

0 Kudos