VMware Cloud Community
Sladem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

problem creating the usb flash stick boot

Hi Guys

I was hoping you could help, i am having a problem putting the esx3i onto the flash stick. So far i have:

Installed 7zip

Installed winimage

extracted the .dd file

when i try to transfer it to the usb stick, winimage gives me an error thats blank and wont transfer the image. I am running it as administrator and have a vista 32bit business Ed. pc.

Is there another way i can create this USB boot stick for esx3i. Oh my flash stick has enough space. It's a 1gig so taking the 750mb file is no problem.

Any ideas welcome thanks gang.

Slade

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sirtom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I did this earlier today, and I experienced the same problem that you have.

The solution for me was to transfer the image to my USB-stick using WinImage on my laptop with Windows XP.

I could not get it to run on my Vista box. (blank error..)

.t

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sirtom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I did this earlier today, and I experienced the same problem that you have.

The solution for me was to transfer the image to my USB-stick using WinImage on my laptop with Windows XP.

I could not get it to run on my Vista box. (blank error..)

.t

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

i've used the same setup several times and you should be just fine. this should work. you might want to format your usb drive before you start to see if that works out. i've noticed a couple of times during these procedures that my usb sticks had "bad blocks".

Duncan

Blogging:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Sladem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will give that a go and do it on my pc at home running a proper upgraded os in comparison to vista (XP). You know what they say if you have vista upgrade to XP. I did also try to format the USB stick but nothing worked, will let you guys know tomorrow.

Slade

0 Kudos
Sladem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey guys it worked thanks alot for the help. Trust good old XP to do what Vista clearly cant.

0 Kudos