VMware Cloud Community
aliom
Contributor
Contributor

slow performance of guest windows server on esxi 3.5.0 on hp ml350 g5

Hi,

I'm a first time user of the communities page. So all help is apreciated!

I have a HP ML350 G5 with windows guest servers. I am have poor disk and network performance issues across both server performing minor tasks such as file access.

Are there any known issues with this setup i need to be aware of?

Al

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

VmTools installed?

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There are several possibilities.

performance

Network

I would do a search through these forums. Search box upper right.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
aliom
Contributor
Contributor

vmware tools installed

it appears to be poor disk performance... any ideas?

0 Kudos
aliom
Contributor
Contributor

at the moment i have 2 processors assigned to each virtual server which there are 2 of. Should i decrease these to 1 as stated in the performance link or increase to 4?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you don't have the BBWC module on your disk controller and don't have write back enabled in the controller you will have issues.

CPU issues. If you have a number of VMs on an ESXi host and you have enabled multiple processors you may have issues with processor scheduling. If you have a VM with 2 processors it will need to wait until there are 2 processors available. The more VMs you have with multiple processors and the more VMs you have on a given host the more opportunity there is for processors to be unavailable.

0 Kudos
aliom
Contributor
Contributor

sorry i'm being lame.. but what is the BBWC mobule?

i'm running 32bit 2003 sbs and 2003 terminal server.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There is an option for drive controllers that adds a battery to power the cache module on the drive controller. By default write caching is disabled on controllers without a battery. Write cashing allows the controller to delay writing until there is a period of less / no other disk activity. It can and usually does greatly enhance performance. Without the battery if a server were to crash with unwritten data the drive can be badly corrupted.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

How many processors and cores.

0 Kudos