VMware Cloud Community
adave007
Contributor
Contributor

vmkfstools question

So here is my question the following command works great vmkfstools -i <source.vmdk> -d thin <dest.vmdk> .

However it shows in the vi client as arround 3.7GB however when I look at it via putty it shows as the full 15GB. Do you know if it auto inflates the vmdk file after?

Attached you will see two screen shots one from the VI client and the other is from putty.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

The ls command, by default, shows the maximum size to which the file can grow. Use the "s" flag on ls (ls -lsa) to see the actual size listed out to the left-hand side of the screen - this tells you the space consumed on disk.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try the du -h command this will show you the "correct" space from the cli

0 Kudos
adave007
Contributor
Contributor

cool thanks for the ls -lsa shows the correct amount now is there away to copy this vmdk file to my windows client via some way so it's not 15GB? So I can burn it on dvd.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know of a way, and I'm not sure that the DVD filesystem(s) (e.g. UDF) support sparse images like that. Could be wrong about that, though...

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

there away to copy this vmdk file to my windows client via some way so it's not 15GB? So I can burn it on dvd.

Yes use VM converter to make it the actual size so you can burn it. I am curious, why did you make it a thin provision?

0 Kudos
adave007
Contributor
Contributor

the reason why I wanted to have it thin provisioned was so I didn't need to backup the whole vmdk file this way my backup window would be shorter. This way I could replicate between branches without moving accross the whole 15GB vmdk file.

0 Kudos